Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pile up reads and get per base coverage?

Hi,

I have list of sequences (17-35bases) with sequence read count in column 1.
    I would like to see the end processing patterns of these sequences (to pile up similar ones and get the per-base coverage).

E.g. two sequences in my input file:
    Code:
          4 TTGATCCTTCGATGTCGGCTCTTCCT
        30 ATCCTTCGATGTCGGCTCTTCCTATCATT
    alignment of these sequences would look like that:
    Code:
     TTGATCCTTCGATGTCGGCTCTTCCT
        ATCCTTCGATGTCGGCTCTTCCTATCAT
    So the coverage of the first 3 nucleotides (TTG) is read count=4, for ATCCTTCGATGTCGGCTCTTCCT its 30+4=34 and for ATCAT it's 30

In principle, the end result/graph should look like this one here:

I know bedtools can output genomic coverage, but I'm afraid it won't be useful here...Does anybody have an idea how to solve this? I also have .sam files containing the same sequences, if that's of any help...

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by GenoMax; 09-06-2017, 07:52 AM.

Hi,

I have a script that does that from my PhD days. I actually used this for some RNA secondary structure projects, so it looks like you're working on something similar.

Uploaded scripts. Contribute to price0416/scripts development by creating an account on GitHub.

Disclaimer: I wrote this like 4 years ago and don't remember exactly all the details of it, so be sure to examine the code for yourself, it's not very long.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by aprice67; 09-07-2017, 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses