Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QDD, a free software to analyze microsatellites from NGS data

We are happy to announce the official release of QDD: a user-friendly program to select microsatellite markers and design primers from large sequencing projects.

QDD is designed to treat all bioinformatics steps from raw sequences till obtaining PCR primers: Sorting sequences by tag, removing adapters/vectors,
    detection of microsatellites, detection of redundancy/possible mobile element association, selection of sequences with target microsatellites and sufficiently long nanosatellite-free flanking regions, and primer design.

The program can be run both under Linux and Windows in an a easy to use command line option, the windows version is supported by a Graphical User Interface.

executables and a manual are available at:
    http://www.univ-provence.fr/gsite/Lo...glecz/QDD.html

more details and the corresponding article in Bioinformatics can be found at:
    http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...stract/btp670?

Jean-François Martin
    Centre de Biologie et Gestion des Populations (CBGP)
    Montpellier SupAgro
    Campus International de Baillarguet
    CS 30 016
    34 988 Montferrier sur Lez Cedex

tél: 00 33 (0)4 99 62 33 20
    fax : 00 33 (0)4 99 62 33 45
    mail: [email protected]

QDD help

Hello,

We recently came across QDD while looking for tools to develop microsat markers in a pathogen we study. At present, we have a reference strain that has been sequenced and assembled using PacBio and several other isolates that have been sequenced and assembled both with PacBio and Illumina sequencing. We’re finding QDD really useful to identify good candidate microsat regions in the reference strain. To save both time and money, we were thinking it might be nice to take some of the candidate markers and run them in silica with the other isolates to look and see whether there is variation at the sites, before we start purchasing probes. Is there a way QDD can be run that will enable us to find variation at candidate marker sites? Ideally we’d like more than 2 alleles at the sites, so we’re hoping QDD can help us.

Comment

Dear user
      first I would like to make sure that you are using the lastest version of QDD that is QDD3 available at http://net.imbe.fr/~emeglecz/qdd.html
      It explicitly takes contigs into account a a couple of improvements compared to previous versions.

As far as I understand your question you would like to develop markers for which you have polymorphism on the basis of sequences you already have ? If so yes you can do it. Just put together in the input file (step 1) all the sequences together (I would recommend using a prefix in the sequence name for each strain) and run the pipeline. In step 2, QDD will concatenate what are recognized as alleles for each given locus (there is a number of mutations threshold to do that) and provide consensus sequence using IUPAC codes. This allows focusing your primer design on those consensus sequences for which the polymorphism is ensured.

I hope it answers your question.
      Regards,
      Jean-Francois

Comment

Hello

Yes, I think we're using QDD3 as we downloaded recently.

That's great. Yes, you have grasped our question there and your reply makes sense to me, although I am not a bioinformatician, I shall pass your answer on to them and see how it goes. Thank you!

C

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses