Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq analysis-feedback on a commercial package

I had seen several commercial packages mentioned on this forum for analysing RNA-seq and DNA-seq data. This post is for fellow biologists with a ton of RNA-seq data and no bioinformatics/math background. Our lab purchased a license for Avadis a few months ago. We've been using it mainly for RNA-seq analysis and we're extremely pleased with the package. I agree with a previous post that the manual although thorough is not user-friendly. But this was a non-issue since their tech support is fabulous and the package itself turned out to be really easy to use. Also, unlike another commercial package that our neighboring lab purchased, the Avadis guys didn't disappear after we paid for our license. They've arranged 3 private webexes for our lab where they've answered every qn we had-if you need a lot of hand-holding (our group did) they do a great job. Another impressive point about their tech team is that they have worked with us to find analysis options based on our needs (by creating additional filters that can be easily imported into the workflow). About the workflow itself, all you need are prealigned files (BAM or SAM) and it's easy to do the basic differential expression analysis. There are filters that can be chained to process the genelists. Also, they have a sleek genome browser, link-outs to pathways and clustering options. It is easy to create venn diagrams to compare differentially expressed genelists between experiments. Overall, it is a reasonably priced package that is quite fast and our computers have never crashed in the 4 months that we've worked with it.
    I would recommend this package to anybody that is in the same boat as I was last year-a biologist with a ton of RNA-seq data and at the mercy of an under-staffed bioinformatics core. An additional plus for people that have used Genespring for microarray analysis-this package was developed by the same team and is very similar in terms of organization and workflow.

This sounds more like spam to me than a real user.

Comment

NGS, I agree. However the posts are coming from an IP at (redacted) , so I'm going to let it stay up for now.

Comment

reply to "seems like spam"

You can go back and read my previous posts over hte last 2 yrs. I've wasted a lot of time because I didn't have any way of analyzing my data. I thought I'd share my feedback on this package. Won't be wasting my time doing this anymore.

Comment

rnaseq...apologies for what seems to clearly be a false positive.

We've had many instances of subtly disguised commercial posts so we're rightfully cautious...the lack of carriage returns probably didn't help our obviously flawed "algorithm".

Please don't take this as how helpful users are treated here...I know for a fact that everyone appreciates your time and review.

Comment

I appreciate your effort in this tool evaluation

rnaseq, thank you for the post, I was actually looking for real users and your input very much helps in making our decision about which is the best tool to use.

Comment

Originally posted by pareje View Post
              rnaseq, thank you for the post, I was actually looking for real users and your input very much helps in making our decision about which is the best tool to use.
              Sounds like a spam too..
              just kidding
              or maybe not?

BTW, thanks and congratulations to the admins and moderators for the good job all these years.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Thank you to 'rnaseq' for the positive review -- we were pleasantly surprised to see this. Our engineering and support teams work around-the-clock to build and maintain Avadis NGS, and were uplifted to read this post.

We are working on making the user manual more easy to read, so please continue to give us specific feedback on the user manual. It is a little
                tricky to take an advanced NGS algorithm, and explain it in plain english, but we are working hard on it!

The Avadis NGS Team
                This website is for sale! avadis-ngs.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, avadis-ngs.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                Last edited by Strand SI; 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses