SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Primer dimer problem cybeline Illumina/Solexa 76 11-20-2018 12:00 PM
Primer dimer in ChIP-seq library lavagirl Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 06-07-2013 05:52 AM
primer dimer CCBIO 454 Pyrosequencing 5 03-18-2013 10:31 AM
P1 adaptor vs. Multiplex P1 adaptor hfaoro SOLiD 0 03-26-2012 06:54 AM
Rapid Library Adapter Dimer Br3ndan Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 05-05-2011 05:36 AM

Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
paolo.kunder

Default Adaptor dimer contamination

Dear All,

We are facing some problems with adaptor dimers in Illumina RNA seq library prep.

There is a small amount of adaptor dimer (at ~150 bp) in a few of the samples. We tried a second bead clean up on half of the sample, but lost a significant amount of material. We talked with Illumina tech support, and this is a tiny enough amount of adaptor that they felt if was fine to go forward. There will be some adaptor only reads that the analyst can filter from the data, but it should be a small percentage.

I attach the profile of the sample most contaminated, do you think this wont influence the amplicfication of my library??

Many thanks,
Paolo
Attached Images
File Type: png Profile_sample.png (84.5 KB, 269 views)
paolo.kunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Genohub
Registered Vendor

Default Ampure Size Selection to remove adapter dimer

Hi Paolo,

What bead to sample volume ratio did you use for your cleanup? If you use the wrong ratio, loss of library is possible. See slide 52: http://www.broadinstitute.org/files/...PrepSlides.pdf

A ratio of 0.7-0.8x is pretty effective at removing the adapter dimer band without resulting in sample loss.

I would personally do one more cleanup to completely remove the dimer band. Try it out on a non-precious sample first to test.

- Genohub
Genohub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
microgirl123

That's a lot of adapter dimer relative to your sample! Adapter dimer tends to hybridize to the flow cell much better than your actual library. I'd be worried about sequencing mainly adapter dimer if I loaded that onto our MiSeq.
microgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
KJoseph

In my experience, that amount of adapter dimer would cause some significant problems on a MiSeq, and you would definitely lose quite a number of reads on HiSeq as well.
KJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
hewei

dilute your adaptors, up to 10 folds dilution, you can try different ratio to get the best result.
hewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
liuqy

Yes, this will definitely fail quality control. Nowadays the beads have improved a lot. You can use AmPure XP or NVIGEN MagVigen. But MagVigen fares better. https://www.nvigen.com/dna-clean-up/

Disclosure: I work at NVIGEN. In case you find problems using MagVigen. We will be happily work with you to troubleshoot or fine tune it for your needs.
liuqy is offline   Reply With Quote