Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concentration of TruSeq adapter stocks?

Does anybody know what the concentration of the TruSeq adapters is? I am currently making my own set and want to match it up to whatever Illumina is doing. They have told me that the old adapters are 15 uM but that the TruSeq adapter concentration is proprietary. Does anybody know any details?

Thanks in advance

Thought I'd revive this thread. Does anybody know the concentration of the TruSeq adapters stocks, from either the DNA or RNA sample prep kits?

From another thread, I've found that the DNA adapters are 60x the concentration of the RNA adapters.

Illumina confirms they are both methylated (5MeC).

I don't have the kits so I can't spec them at 260nm. I just want to know how much I get with the kits.
    --------------
    Ethan

Comment

I'll follow up to my own question:
      I made my adapters at a couple of different concentrations ranging from 25 uM to 8 uM (each) and compared them to the Illumina ones by denaturing them and running them out on the smRNA assay on the bioA. I ultimately landed on something right around 15 uM (each) being the closest, so that's what I made my stocks out to be. For what it's worth, I did not methylate my adapters. It's really good to know that the RNA ones are about 60x the DNA ones! Do you have a link to that thread?

Comment

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

Just to be clear the RNA adapters are 60 fold more dilute then the DNA adapters.

15 uM is that for the RNA or DNA adapter stocks?
        --------------
        Ethan

Comment

15 uM each is what I found to be equivalent to the *DNA* sample prep kit.

Comment

Thanks!!

I was hoping to use the adapters from the RNA kit for RRBS-seq and replace them with unmethylated oligos (methylated oligos are expensive) but it looks like they are too dilute.
            --------------
            Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
              Illumina confirms they are both methylated (5MeC).
              Why use 5MeC?

--
              Phillip

Comment

It's for methylation studies

Comment

It states in the original Illumina Patent (see page 50 of doc) that the adapters are at a concentration of 15 uM. Of course that was pre-TruSeq adapters..but for our home-brew stocks the masters are kept at 15 uM and diluted when necessary.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Insert:Adapter ratios TruSeq DNA

Years ago I took course in Molecular Genetics from Irwin Tessman here at Purdue. One of the non-biological central tenants of the course was that we were not to use calculators on exams. One basis for this practice is that using the calculator allows one to arrive at answers that given a bit of thought would be obviously incorrect.

Along those same lines I think it is productive to think about protocols as to what is being accomplished in each step and what problems each step causes for the next step. But even more centrally one wants to ask:

What and how many objects (molecules) are being modified in a given step?

As I have mentioned before, I use the rule of thumb:

1 ug of DNA is 1 trillion 1 kbp fragments. (Actually only about 93% of this, but close, enough for most purposes.)

The TruSeq DNA prep kit starts with 1 ug of DNA as measured by a double-strand specific method (eg PicoGreen fluorimetry). If we naively presume that 50% of the DNA makes it through AMPure purification after sonication/end repair that would leave us with just under 500 billion 1000 bp molecules. But sonication has broken the molecules into 500 bp on average, at most, not 1000 bp. So double that back to 1 trillion insert molecules.

Up thread it is estimated that TruSeq adapters have a concentration of 15 uM. That brings me to my second rule of thumb:

1 ul of a 1 uM solution contains 1 trillion molecules. (Actually only about 60% of this, but we can refine answers after an initial calculation, if necessary.)

So 15 uM would be about 15 trillion adapter molecules per ul. Let's multiply by .6 (60%) to refine the estimate to 9 trillion/ul. 2.5 ul of adapter is used in each ligation. So a total of 22.5 trillion adapters are being added to the ligation.

That puts the Insert:Adapter ratio around 1:20. That makes the insert end:adapter ratio about 1:10.

Of course the actual amount of insert going into the reaction is going to be quite variable.

--
                    Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses