SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unmapping reads in bam file bgu Bioinformatics 0 07-20-2012 06:01 AM
Why there is more reads in BAM file than I can see in tview? tomjan Bioinformatics 0 04-26-2012 01:41 PM
Getting Reads from Bam file empyrean Bioinformatics 4 10-12-2011 01:57 PM
Query bam file and assemble reads dustar1986 Bioinformatics 10 09-29-2011 08:48 PM
Extracting unique reads from a .ma or .bam file? JohnK SOLiD 14 06-04-2010 01:32 AM

Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
chipnewb

Question BAM file containing ALL reads, next step?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and new to ChIP-seq so forgive my ignorance and the broadness of my question.

I recently obtained two bam files from a company which states that the files they provide are, "a binary alignment/map file which includes all reads. Predefined columns within the file will flag sequence reads which passed or failed chastity filtering, and mark those reads which are unique and have either multiple, or no matches".

My goal is to look at differences in peaks between the two files (treatment vs control) and for this I have Partek Genomics Suite. Currently, I am able to simply load the bam files into Partek, generate peaks, have them annotated and look at fold difference between treatment and control.

My question is would it be wiser to first "clean up" the bam files since they apparently contain ALL reads, not just those that were high quality and aligned, and then import them into Partek? For example, should I remove all those reads which failed chastity filtering as well as those that have no matches, etc?

Thanks for your time
chipnewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bam, chip-seq, flags, partek, samtools