Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BreakDancer - Cancer/Normal Matching

Hi. I'm using BreakDancer to find structural variations in a paired set of samples. One sample is a tumor and the other is the matched normal sample. What I want to do is run BreakDancer on both samples and then "subtract" out the variations seen in the normal sample from those in the cancer sample so that I'm left with those specific for the cancer. My problem is how to do this? The results given for each sample are in the form of chr1,pos1,chr2,pos2 as the location of the breakpoints. I've tried to concatenate those values to create a unique identifier for the subtraction, but that did not work very well. How do people do this kind of subtraction to find variations unique to the cancer sample? Is there a better tool than BreakDancer out there for this kind of analysis? Thanks for any help.
    --
    Paul N. Hengen, PhD
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/hengen

What I've been doing is to expand the calls into regions on each end and writing them out in BEDPE format:

chr1 start1 end1 chr2 start2 end2 strand1 strand2 name etc..

You can do this either by adding a little bit of slop to the location of each breakpoint (i.e. 500bp up and downstream of the location or something similar) or by determining the regions in which the supporting reads for each SV lie using the output file of supporting reads from Breakdancer. Then when I've got a bedpe file, I've been using the pairToPair utility from BEDTools with the "notboth" option to subtract SVs that overlap on both ends. Check out the BEDTools manual for more details on that command.

I think that some of the other SV callers (GASV?) have this sort of capability baked in.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses