Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested approach for illumina MiSeq library preparation for microbial communities s

Hi all,
    I am sorry if my question sould sound stupid but I am rather new to NGS technologies and illumina platform
    We are going to perform a micorbial community ecology study. We have a set of 48 samples that should be selectively amplified for variable 16S DNA regions.
    Could anyone have suggest a suitable and cheap solution for this kind of amplicon sequencing approach?
    I would like to reduce the number of libraries by multiplexing indexed samples, but many protocols are described in literature... Which one is the best solution for you own experiences?
    Thanks a lot in advance,
    Gian

You will get multiple suggestions from different folks on the forum but I will get things started with this: http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/...meth.2634.html
    Last edited by GenoMax; 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Illumina has a published method. We've been using an adaptation of this method for a while now and it works well. The biggest hurdle is to get the first round of PCR working.

Comment

@microgirl123 meant to probably link to this app note: http://res.illumina.com/documents/pr..._miseq_16s.pdf

If not please correct.

Comment

@GenoMax - what I linked is the link to the actual protocol that the app note refers to.

Illumina now has a step-by-step protocol for creating 16s (or any other amplicon) libraries. The only thing you need to buy from Illumina is the Nextera adapters. This should be really helpful for labs that are just starting out on PCR amplicon sequencing.

ETA: You might need an Illumina account (free) to access the bulletin and protocol.

Comment

These articles are good references.

An international, peer-reviewed genome sciences journal featuring outstanding original research that offers novel insights into the biology of all organisms

Our biggest hurdle was identifying the extraction methods that effectively removed the PCR inhibitors from the sample.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies. My biggest perplexity is also related to find a good and relatively cheap sequencing service that has an experience on amplicon sequencing on the illumina miseq platform. Do you have some tips on this?
              Thanks again for all your replies,
              Gian

Comment

MU Core... are you willing to share the methods you've found for inhibitor removal? This is our biggest hurdle with 16S survey sequencing projects, too.

Comment

Scott, our facility doesn't perform the extractions in-house but works with the researchers to develop the best method in their own lab.

We do still see researcher to researcher variability for PCR failure rates which we believe to be due to inhibitors. The vast majority of our samples are mouse fecal samples. Our most consistent group is performing a manual precipitations with ammonium acetate and isopropanol, followed by purification over a DNeasy column; a basic extraction method. I believe the success with this method has quite a bit to do the with experience level of the individual performing the extractions.

Side-by-side comparisons were performed with commercial kits. The manual extraction method did provide higher yields and cost less. If a commercial kit is the option you would like to pursue, I recommend speaking with the folks at MO BIO. There inhibitor removal technology performed well with kits covering a wide range of environmental samples.

Comment

Hi MU Core,

We don't perform the extractions either... but, like you, we do have to deal with the poor quality samples that come our way from customers, from time to time. We usually recommend the MoBio kits, but I'm always interested to hear people's experiences. Unfortuantely, our samples come from very diverse sources so I doubt there will be a single method that suits all. Often we're dealing with very low concentrations of DNA too, which complicates things.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses