Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks did not assembly a mark-gene ! Any solution?

Hi,

I have Hi-seq directional paired-end data. I used the standard pipeline based on their "Nature protocol" paper to assembly and compare the annotated genes. It is very strange that cufflinks did not assembly a highly-expressed mark gene (which is well-known in my cell-type). Have anyone else also met the similar problem of cufflinks previously? Is that the bug of cufflinks or the problem of processing with cufflinks / parameters?

Many thanks!

Cufflinks might have a problem, if your data inheres a 5' or a 3' bias.
    Did you supplied the inner mate pair distance as parameters to Cufflinks? You can derive it from the library QC plots (Bioanalyzer, Tapestation, etc.).

The easiest sanity check is to view your data in a genome browser (e.g. IGV) and have a look at your mark gene.

Cheers,
    Michael

Comment

Thank you Michael. Yes, IGV indicates that mark gene is highly expressed, over 4000 reads. Right now I guess it is the problem of a default configuration of cufflinks. Cufflinks/cuffdiff etc have a maximum number of fragments that can fall within a locus. If a locus has more than this maximum, it is skipped. The threshold is configurable via the --max-bundle-frags option.

I will check if that gene will be picked up after increasing the --max-bundle-frags.

Chan

Comment

Hi Chan,

I fear, that this is not the crucial point. Per default, Cufflinks' and Cuffdiff's parameter max-bundle-frags is set to 1,000,000 fragments per locus.

Here are a view checks you can make to pin-point the problem:
        Compare Cufflinks' estimated inner-mat-pair distance from the log-files with the library size distribution. Denote, that you add to the "inner-mat-pair distance" the length of both reads and the adapter length.

Compare a view highly abundant genes from Cufflinks' output with the IGV browser or the actual read count of these loci.

Use a small subset of your data to run the Tuxedo-pipeline with only the read 1 set. And compare the mark gene's abundance.

Use RSeQC to check your alignment for the "read coverage over gene body". It'll give you an hint for coverage biases, which might confuse Cufflinks.

Comment

Thanks!

After setting the --max-bundle-frags parameters as 10,000,000, the mark gene was assembled by cufflinks. I checked the expression abundance in IGV with big-wig files, the number ranges from 3000-4000+. That mark gene has 6000nt of CDS. That means > 1,000,000 reads mapping to that gene, so if using the default value of "--max-bundle-frags", that mark gene will be skipped by cufflinks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses