No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrasts with DESeq2

Hi;

I am working with an interesting design and have setup the contrasts with DESeq2 and unsure if it setup correct as I get quite alot significant genes.

The setup is as follows:
    6 neurontypes (each with three replicates) which can be subdivided into 2 groups (LTMR and Nociceptors). I want to compare each neurontype against all neurontypes of the opposite group. So for example given that neurontype1 is in LTMR - what genes are DE between neurontype1 and all Nociceptor samples? The code I used is pasted below:

# Create DESeq2 dataset
    se <-SummarizedExperiment(assays=SimpleList(counts=exprs(sub.eset)), colData=DataFrame(pData(sub.eset)))
    dds <- DESeqDataSet(se=se, design = ~ neurontype)
    dds <- DESeq(dds)

# Create list object for the results
    resultsAll <- vector("list", 6)

# adding the effects across all neurontypes within a group to create background contrast
    bg.ltmr <- resultsNames(dds)[grep("LTMR", resultsNames(dds))]
    bg.nociceptor <- resultsNames(dds)[grep("Nociceptor", resultsNames(dds))]

# Extract data of specified contrasts with appropriate background
    for (n in 2:length(resultsNames(dds))){
    r <- resultsNames(dds)[n]
    if (r %in% bg.ltmr) contrast <- list(r, c(bg.nociceptor))
    if (r %in% bg.nociceptor) contrast <- list(r, c(bg.ltmr))
    res <- results(dds, contrast=contrast)
    resultsAll[n-1] <- list(res)
    }
    names(resultsAll) <- resultsNames(dds)[-1]

I get about ~3000 genes significant for each of the neurontypes which seems a bit high to me. Any thoughts on if there is a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Others have noted the large number of genes identified in deseq2 : http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30907

I notice it too.

If you really, really need a smaller number of genes, then change the statistical significance cut off.

Comment

I'd recommend you look at a PCA plot (see vignette for example). This just sounds like you have small within group variance compared to the between group differences, which you will see by looking at the top 500 genes with plotPCA. You can either reduce the FDR cutoff as Richard recommends, or increase the lfcThreshold if you are interested in larger fold changes (as Simon just responded there http://seqanswers.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=21).

Comment

That makes sense, the within group variance for the single neurontype is going to be much smaller since the samples are just replicates. Thanks, I'll probably just increase lfcThreshold and take genes from there

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses