No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks - top 100 genes

Dear All,

I'm new to RNA-Seq and Bioinformatics. We have done a RNA-Seq study using Illumina Hi-Seq (paired-end, 90bp reads) on two cell types.

I have managed to remove the adapters, trim low quality reads and remove reads < 50bp (Trim Galore). I have then mapped them (TopHat-v2.0.8b) and assembled the mapped reads (Cufflinks).

Is there a way to sort the transcripts.gtf file based on fpkm values to look for the top 100 highly expressed genes? (to make sure that the house-keeping genes/ genes that we know to be highly expressed are indeed highly expressed)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

It is not clear if you are using a known GTF file. If you only want to see the top 100 genes then you could use a read counting program like featureCounts to get real counts for your samples.

But if you just want to quickly see FPKM values in transcript.gtf files from cufflinks then try this. High FPKM values will be at the end of the display.

Code:
    $ cut -f 9 transcripts.gtf | awk -F'"' '{print $2,"\t", $8}' | uniq | sort -s -k2n
    Last edited by GenoMax; 02-08-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you very much GenoMax! I just used the code and its what I needed. Really appreciate it! Cheers

Comment

You are welcome. Thanks for the confirmation that the code worked.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses