No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de novo assembly of PROTON transcriptome data

Hi all,

We performed a plant whole transcriptome sequencing in Ion PROTON. We have about 10 Gbp data of 74 million reads in a single run using v2 proton kits. Average read length is 129 bp. Which assembler will give us better output for de nove assembly. Could anyone suggest me?

Thanks
    Rasel

Have a look at this thread: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610

There are several other threads available (look at the top panel in "similar threads").

Short answer may be that you may have to try a few assemblers out. If you have a similar species for which a transcriptome/genome is available then you can use that as a rough reference to do some comparisons to the assembly that you build.

Comment

Thanks GenoMax for your suggestion.

We tried newbler but it was failed to assemble the data. Now MIRA is running for 13 days but still not completed. We don;t know why it is taking too much time although we only took 5 Gbp data for MIRA assembly running now. Last time in case of 2 Gbp PROTON transcriptome data MIRA took 12 days to complete and the metrics were not good.

Actually I am worried about the data type of PROTON which may cause problem in assembler. Unfortunately there is no sufficient past example or I couldn't find specific post related to PROTON transcriptome (plant) data de novo assembly.

Thanks again!
      Rasel

Comment

Soapdenovo or in your case the -trans version has been pretty capable or at least quick in my hands.
        CLC assembly cell (commercial) or CLC genomics workbench might also be worth a look.

Velvet might be an option too.

Comment

Thanks colindaven for your suggestion

Comment

CLC's assembler is quite good (and very fast) - so I would second that suggestion. Also, you may want to try IDBA's transcriptome assembler: http://i.cs.hku.hk/~alse/hkubrg/proj...ran/index.html

That being said -- 129 bp reads are not going to give you great assemblies - no matter what assembler you choose. Proton RNA-seq data is going to be much better for read mapping and mutation/SNP mapping. For de novo assembly of transcriptomes, you would do much better using PE reads.
            @bioinformer
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanjacobs

Comment

Originally posted by rasel@barj View Post
              Thanks colindaven for your suggestion
              Hi rasel@barj ,
              I have similar issue , average reads length is 114 bp at Proton , 28 M reads per run.
              Proton use MIRA as their GUI plugin, but it seems that it is very slow from your post.
              So which assembler did you use eventually ?!

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanjacobs View Post
                CLC's assembler is quite good (and very fast) - so I would second that suggestion. Also, you may want to try IDBA's transcriptome assembler: http://i.cs.hku.hk/~alse/hkubrg/proj...ran/index.html

That being said -- 129 bp reads are not going to give you great assemblies - no matter what assembler you choose. Proton RNA-seq data is going to be much better for read mapping and mutation/SNP mapping. For de novo assembly of transcriptomes, you would do much better using PE reads.
                Hi jonathanjacobs,
                (1)Why do you say that? (i.e. 129 bp reads are not going to give you great assemblies)
                (2)Why do you say you would prefer use PE reads ?
                (3) Is the IDBA's transcriptome assembler suitable for Proton data as well? how does it compare with Abyss, Velvet or Soapdenovo?
                Last edited by super0925; 07-22-2015, 05:55 AM.

Comment

How about Trinity?

Comment

Hi super0925

We tried several assemblers but no one can build high quality assembly. Among all the assemblers Trinity gives much better metrics than others.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses