Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliability of short insert sizes

I have recently sequenced a number of PCR amplicons on an Illumina MiSeq, in a sample that must be a compund heterozygote for 2 SNPs (based on phenotype). The 2 SNPs are very close together, so in theory any read that covers both SNPs should have one of the variants, but never both. However, when I physically count them, only around 80% of reads follow this pattern, while the remaining 20% look like they have both variants, or neither.

The read length was set to 150bp, but quite a few of the reads (in the 20% group that don't appear as expected) are much shorter than that, as short as 40bp (when BAM files are viewed in IGV). Also, in many of the reads from the 20% group, one or both of the SNPs are within about 5 nucleotides of the end of the read.

I have since realised that the short reads are due to very short fragment/insert sizes to begin with (so the mate pairs are the same sequence/overlap 100%).

However, will this have an effect on the reliability of the variant calls?
    If not, how do I explain that only 80% of the reads that span both SNPs (around 200 reads), have genotypes concordant with a compound heterozygote?

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses