Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PacBio ZMW Loading Productivity 2

I recently got back my first data set from a PacBio run and was wondering what are 'typical' values for the different productivity levels? Here's what I received:

4.8% ZMW Loading for Productivity 0
    38.6% ZMW Loading for Productivity 1
    56.6% ZMW Loading for Productivity 2

The productivity 2 value seemed pretty high to me - these will mostly be unusable reads unless one of the polymerases drops off pretty early in the run, correct?
    Could this indicate anything about my sample prep?

Thanks for any insight

these will mostly be unusable reads unless one of the polymerases drops off pretty early in the run, correct?
    You will recover very little usable sequence from ZMWs with Productivity 2, if any.

It may be a little overloaded, 56.6% is quite high, but 38.6% is actually pretty good given the statistics of loading. Better metrics to look at are the number of bases, read length and read quality, preferably after a simple filter. This will give you an indication if the overloading is having a large effect on the Productivity 1 ZMWs too.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback rhall.

I think the post-filter read # aligns pretty well with 38.6% productivity 1 (~75k pre-filter reads, ~29k post-filter). Readlength mean is 3,701 bp and quality is 0.849.

Comment

Those results look fairly typical. Although there is some room for optimization.

Comment

rhall- you mentioned that there is room for optimization. What would you consider an good loading distribution of ZMWs?

Comment

50-55% Probuctivity 1 would be excellent for a short (2kb) insert library. The distribution between 0 and 2 may depend on the instrument software version, probably best talk to someone familiar with the particular instrument.

Comment

The # of productive ZMWs is influenced by the size of the library. We regularly get 50-55% with 2-6kb libraries, for 16kb libraries we can't get above 33%.... Lower than I'd like, but the reads are very high-quality. The recent upgrade tweaked our system so that we see considerably more productivity 0, considerably less productivity 2, same productivity 1.

Comment

A good place to start if you want to look at optimizing loading, or are just interested in the many metrics that are recorded during sequencing:
                https://github.com/PacificBiosciences/stsPlots

Comment

Thanks again for the information rhall, I appreciate it. By the way, this was for a 2kb library.

Comment

hi,

One 0f my experiments is giving me loading values like these:
                    P0=16%, P1=12% and P2=72%(1Kb library)
                    P0=12%, P1=18% and P2=70%(3Kb library)

Does anyone encountered anytime these kind of Loading values?
                    What could be the cause of this?

Any help or suggestion is appreciated

Comment

This would indicate that the on chip DNA concentration is too high. Values like these would result in very poor data quality.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply ... when I contact tech support they said it is too much unbound polymerases there so P2 is high.
                        My doubt is polymerase will not give any signal alone from ZMWs there has to be some DNA fragments also... is there any possibilities of errors during samples prep like Damage repair is not good or Polymerase was added too much??

Comment

Both things, cell being overloaded or having to much unbound polymerase, can cause the phenotype that you show. Have you tried lowering the concentration of your DNA? I think that this is a first good step to trying to figure what what is going on. If you lower the concentration and you still see the same results, then you may have other issues. What is the concentration and size of your library?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses