No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with FastQC results

Hi,
    I have two sets of Illumina Single End RNA-Seq 50 bp data (two differents days of mammalian cell culture). The kit used was KAPA Stranded RNA-Seq Kit with RiboErase.

Unfortunately the results from FastQC are not as expected. But the problem is that I am not exactly sure how to interpret the data and what to say about the plots.

Both datasets show the same results. The plot of per base sequence quality is OK (I think) and also the plot of Adapter content, but the plots of GC content and Kmer content look very weird. Also, the duplication levels.

I am happy to get any advices about what is wrong in this data or possible explanations for this results.

Thanks for any help

Ileana

First three results of
    Overrepresented sequences:
    Sequence
    CGACGGGGGGCCCCGCGGGGCCGAGAAGAAGAGGAGGGGGAGGCGAGGAGG Count: 187325
    Percentage: 1.0857026079582217
    Possible Source: No Hit

Sequence GGACAGGAGAGCGGTCGCGCCGTGGGAGGGGCGGCCCGGCCCCCACCGCGG Count: 98598
    Percentage: 0.571456590094567

Sequence CCCGAGACGAGTGGCTCTCCGCACCGGTCCCCGGTCCCGACGCGCGGCGGG Count: 95732
    Percentage: 0.5548457603899987
    Attached Files

Out of the graphs you attached the GC content one looks rather strange. Is this known to be an extremely GC rich organism?

Comment

No, the GC content is around 40%

Comment

Have you checked a few sequences (e.g. by blast) to see if they are from the right organism (and are not some kind of contamination)?

Comment

I did a quick search and didn't found possible contamination. Could be some rRNA and / or mitochondrial RNA? I did found some of these.

Comment

Neither of those should skew GC content that way. Perhaps someone else will have further suggestions.

You should go ahead and start analyzing the data.

Comment

According to plots GC content of reads is 60%. This seems to be result of some GC rich reads with high duplication rates (20% has over 10 k dup rate). I would check reads with dup rate over 1k to see what they are and if they make bilogical sense. If they are not rRNA or from repetative regions, I would suspect some library prep issues.

Comment

Dear Ileanadrt,

I am a member of the Kapa Biosystems Technical Support Team.

We would love to help you troubleshoot this further. Would you be willing to share the type of mammalian cell line you are using?

Thanks and best regards,
                Adriana

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses