No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are key factors to consider while planning pooled DNA sequencing

Hi,

I am planning to sequence two pooled DNA samples. I was wondering if there is:

1) Minimum number of individuals that should be pooled to make up each sample. More specifically, would pooling of 2-3 individuals per sample be enough to detect sufficient number of variants to distinguish it from sequencing errors?
    2) The methods that can be conducted to eliminate false positive SNPs from the generated data.

Thanks and best regards!

If you post more info on your planned work such as sample numbers, genome size and aims your question will be more clear.

Comment

Is there a specific reason why you want to pool the samples, and not make separate libraries for each? Except for saving money on library construction, there is no benefit in pooling, rather the opposite.

1) The more individuals you pool, the more difficult it will be to distinguish variants from sequencing errors, as you are diluting the signal for rare variant alleles.
      2) The simplest method to reduce the number of false positives is brute force - increase the sequencing depth per sample. There are several bioinformatic methods implemented in current variant callers (e.g. GATK) to account for typical sequencing biases leading to false positive calls.

If your main interest is comparing different conditions (represented by large groups of individuals, e.g. disease vs control groups), you would typically need more individuals (think of 20-30 per group rather than 2-3) unless there are strong reasons to expect single variants to explain the condition (which is almost never the case). Still single libraries would give you much more useful data and more statistical power than pooled libraries.

Comment

You're right about the objective of the study Sarvidsson, which is to conduct variant analysis between fast (plant root) growth-rate vs slow growth-rate groups with 60-70x coverage for each of the two libraries.
        I was hoping to find more than 2-3 individuals per group,unfortunately that didn't happen and I ended up with a greatly reduced pool-size. Financially, I can only sequence two libraries which means I either scrap this idea or go ahead with sequencing two, small pool-sized groups.
        What do you guys think? Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses