No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gffread to output sequence, gene_id not output

HI everyone,

Many apologies if I'm duplicating, I have searched the forums, google, can't find the specific answer.

So- I've performed my mRNAseq experiment, used the workflow:

cufflinks->cuffmerge->cuffquant->cuffdiff

then used cummeRbund to look at the results.

From cummeRbund I've generated a list of differentially expressed genes.

What I'd like to do now is look at the sequence of the genes to see what type of things are differentially expressed (have done a brief GO analysis, would like to search HMM profiles for protein motifs).

I tried to output the sequences from my merged.gtf file (generated by cuffmerge) using gffread. I can get them to output, but I would really, REALLY, like the gene_id "XLOC_*****" number to be in the fasta header. But it seems that whatever I do, I can't get it out there. I can get almost every single other piece of info from the gtf file there using one or other of the gffread options, but not this.

Clearly it wouldn't be so hard to write my own script to do this, but I'm under time pressure, and I've leaernt the hard way that duplicating others efficient tools is foolhardy.

So- am I missing the crucial option here? Or do folks do this (outputting differentially exporessed gene sequences from mRNAseq expts) iin a different way?

I do have the gene IDs of the annotated genes in the fasta header, but there are some novel/intergenic/anomalous genes which are only really iddentifiable by "XLOC****"

Many thanks for your help

Matt

Hi, running into to a similar problem.

There is a workaround here that may be relevant:

I can't get my merged.gtf file (output of cuffmerge) to output anything using gffread. I just get empty files.

I tried to output the sequences from my merged.gtf file (generated by cuffmerge) using gffread. I can get them to output
    Can you detail the code you used to do this?

Comment

gffread merge_matt_tissue_MSU/merged.gtf -g Oryza_sativa.IRGSP-1.0.21.dna_sm.genome.fa -w test.fa

for example.

The fasta genome file is in the same directory- you have to supply the full path if not.

Depending on which options you use, it seems a little sensitive to the features in your gtf file. For example, using -x gave me noting here as the merged.gtf doesn't have any features labelled as cds, only exons.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses