Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping genomic reads to divergent exome

I have been trying to map genomic Illumina data to a divergent reference in order to get the sequence of exons in my sample. The idea is that although the introns and intergenic regions may be too variable to map the coding sites are more conserved and may be alignable.

It seems like it may be a task that someone else has tackled but I can't find any reference to it.

I am expecting about 10% of sites to differ in exons (but ~30% outside of exons). So far, I have used BWA and STAMPY and I can recover about 50% of the exome but haven't been able to get the rest. I worry that exon-intron boundaries are hard to map because only some of the read will align well and potentially its mate won't map at all if its out in the intergenic DNA or in an intron.

Some things I have been toying with:
    (1) Masking noncoding DNA
    (2) Converting obvious differences in the reference to reduce divergence and repeating the alignment
    (3) de novo assembly of short contigs and then BLASTing them against reference exons.

If anyone has any experience with a similar task it would be valuable to know their experiences.

Stampy?

I haven't tried it yet but this program appears to do what you are asking for.

Let me know how it works for you

Andrew

Comment

MaxSSmap

You may want to try a new GPU program that uses the maximum scoring subsequence for mapping reads: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/15/969/abstract

Comment

You may also want to try MaxSSmap http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/15/969/abstract. Let me know if this works for your problem.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses