No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpliceMap 3.2.1: Announcing addition of Bowtie support

Hi SEQanswers community,

Bowtie support has just been added to SpliceMap.

Please check the website to download the new version.

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~kinfai...Map/index.html

With Bowtie support comes some requested features
    • Support for FASTQ and FASTA file formats
    • Mac OS X support
    • Less memory usage when sorting SAM file
    • Faster

Let me know what you think of the new input format. I felt that is was much clearer an easier to customize. However, your feedback is important to me.

Please let me know if you find any part hard to use or unintuitive. I will see what I can do.

Also, after further testing, the "Try Harder" option in Bowtie didn't seem to make much difference... Currently, it is default to on. However, if you want to save 10-15% of your running time, it is probably ok to turn it off.

Next, I will add read quality to the SAM output and hopefully (if there are no more major usability issues) have some time to work on algorithmic improvements.
    SpliceMap: De novo detection of splice junctions from RNA-seq
    Download SpliceMap Comment here

how does SpliceMap perform when aligning via bowtie versus its default aligner (seqMap)? Can you point out any pros/cons?

how can I run spliceMap using the "-best" option and did you test bowtie's different parameters such that you can recommend which ones are most compatible for ideal splice isoform assembly using SpliceMap?

Thanks so much for your efforts!
    Priyam

Comment

Hi Priyam,

The output is basically the same as SeqMap and Eland according to the sequence data that I have (about 100 junctions different out of 170k).

Pros: Faster, uses less memory(compared to SeqMap, but not Eland), multi-threaded, free (compared to Eland, not SeqMap).
      Cons: Need to obtain separate bowtie-index, not developed by our lab (so less control).

The -best option is set by default and cannot be changed, since that is required by SpliceMap. You don't need to worry about the settings on Bowtie. It is called by SpliceMap automatically and the settings used are the best ones we determined from testing. "try harder" is given as an option since the effect of that is undetermined.

John Mu

Comment

Just an update, some people are having trouble building this from source on the latest version of GCC/G++ due to some stricter requirements on libraries.

Once my exams are over we'll release an update for that.

Also, it seems the sensitivity is not as good as what we would like for 125bp reads. We'll have an update for this soon too. However, the specificity is consistently very good.

Does anyone know any links to publicly available 125bp+ RNA-seq reads (from a mammalian genome)? This will save me some time in searching the databases

Comment

Originally posted by john_mu View Post
          Hi SEQanswers community,

Bowtie support has just been added to SpliceMap.

Please check the website to download the new version.

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~kinfai...Map/index.html

With Bowtie support comes some requested features
          • Support for FASTQ and FASTA file formats
          • Mac OS X support
          • Less memory usage when sorting SAM file
          • Faster

Let me know what you think of the new input format. I felt that is was much clearer an easier to customize. However, your feedback is important to me.

Please let me know if you find any part hard to use or unintuitive. I will see what I can do.

Also, after further testing, the "Try Harder" option in Bowtie didn't seem to make much difference... Currently, it is default to on. However, if you want to save 10-15% of your running time, it is probably ok to turn it off.

Next, I will add read quality to the SAM output and hopefully (if there are no more major usability issues) have some time to work on algorithmic improvements.
          Great new!! Have you tested it on SOLiD color space reads?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by xguo View Post
            Great new!! Have you tested it on SOLiD color space reads?

thanks
            Sorry xguo, that's not yet supported. We will look into that over summer. Currently there is no hard timeline for color-space support, we have a few more things that need to be done first.

I know bowtie can align colour-space reads, but this also needs to be supported by the junction search, which needs some thought.

Sorry about that!
            John Mu

Comment

Just an update, I modified the sources and instructions to help people build it from source. We have been getting some people reporting that it won't compile on certain versions of g++.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses