Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why microRNA MiRBase ID in TCGA and Target scan does not match with each other well ?

Hi all,

I downloaed miRNA-seq data from TCGA. I looked at miRNA ids and they are miRBase IDs. also I'm processing TargetScan data set. I looked at the IDs in miR_Family_Info.txt from TargetScan. for some of the miRBase IDs from TCGA, there is no match in miR_Family_Info.txt. what should I do to solve this problem ?
    as example :
    in TCGA we have :
    miRNA_ID

hsa-let-7a-1
    hsa-let-7a-2
    hsa-let-7a-3

But in TargetScan we have only :

hsa-let-7a

Does someone suggest me solution? I have to use TargetScan and TCGA.but the problem is this ID mapping. some some IDs in TCGA, there is no match in TargetScan.

The hsa-let-7a-1 is a hairpin ID, but the mature miRNA sequences are the same. Maybe simply omit the last digit won't cause trouble.

Comment

There is two problem here :

all miRNAs in TargetScan are in mature form, which in the name of all of them there the R is capital; like hsa-miR-103a. but in TCGA, all miRNAs are in the form of miRNA precursor ( the lack of capitalisation of “mir” tells us we’re talking about the miRNA precursor); hsa-mir-103a

now the question is that, is the expression level of miRNA precursor equal to mature miRNA expression level in cell ?

Can I map miRNA precursor to mature miRNA ?

Comment

Most hairpin/precursors will yield two mature miRNAs (5p and 3p), in this case let-7a-5p and let-7a-3p. TCGA just adds these numbers together and give you a summed count over the hairpin. The 5p and 3p have however very different sequences and thus targets different transcripts. You do need the expression of each arm, without it your results may be less than informative. TCGA has mede these data available but in a much less accesible form: https://tcga-data.nci.nih.gov/tcga/tcgaDownload.jsp

Comment

Can you be more clear about :

1) Is the expression value of miRNA precursore is equivalent to it's corresponding mature miRNA form ?
          for example in targetscan I have: hsa-miR-18a but in TCGA I have : hsa-mir-18a (smal 'r' in miR represent miRNA precursore)
          2) What should I do with the miRNA which represent the stem loop ?
          for example: in TCGA I have cases like :
          hsa-mir-92a-1
          hsa-mir-92a-2 wich they call it : Stem-loop sequence hsa-mir-92a-1 in miRBase database

but in TargetScan I have:
          hsa-miR-92a

Comment

Originally posted by watermark View Post
            Can you be more clear about :

1) Is the expression value of miRNA precursore is equivalent to it's corresponding mature miRNA form ?
            for example in targetscan I have: hsa-miR-18a but in TCGA I have : hsa-mir-18a (smal 'r' in miR represent miRNA precursore)
            2) What should I do with the miRNA which represent the stem loop ?
            for example: in TCGA I have cases like :
            hsa-mir-92a-1
            hsa-mir-92a-2 wich they call it : Stem-loop sequence hsa-mir-92a-1 in miRBase database

but in TargetScan I have:
            hsa-miR-92a
            1. No; the precursor expression is the sum of both arms, all reads aligned to the hairpin. If you have a look at http://www.mirbase.org/cgi-bin/mirna...?acc=MI0000072 and the "Deep Sequencing" frame you see a quite typical example.

In this case, the hairpin precursor expression is approximately equal to 18a-5p.

2. This miRNA is encoded twice in the genome. Therefore most of the short sequencing reads will align equally good to the two loci. It will be just as good/bad using either one.

You are not the first or the last being frustrated by these issues...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses