Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with sorting sam files in python!

Hello All!

I am new to coding. I have written a python script to analyze a bunch of fastq files from RNASeq analysis. I am using the subprocess module to call bowtie2 in order to index the genome and align the unpaired short reads to the genome.My script generates a sam file which needs to be sorted before running the cuffdiff module. The linux sort command works perfectly on my mac, however, in spite of installing the Unxupdates on my windows at work, I am unable to make my script work. I am hoping for some help/advice here to sort my sam file in python. Here is the script I tried.

#!/usr/bin/env python2.7

import os, sys

inputFile = open(‘Outputfile1.txt’, 'r')

lineList = inputFile.readlines()

for line in sorted(lineList):

print(line.rstrip());

With this script, the stdout is written to the screen. But this recognizes only the text file. Sam files are not recognized.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    -M

No, that's really not how you should sort a sam file. You should either have a look at samtools sort or pysam (python module).

I don't think doing this in plain python is a good idea, there are better alternatives such as bash loops, gnu-parallel, snakemake.

Comment

Hi wdecoster,

Thanks for your response. Samtools sort function does not work on the windows terminal with either sam or bam files. But the samtools view function converts sam to bam format successfully. Also, the latest version of pysam for windows is not running on my machine. I will try snakemake.

Thanks again,
      -M

Comment

Originally posted by mavadhani View Post
        Samtools sort function does not work on the windows terminal with either sam or bam files.
        Is that reference to "ubuntu bash on windows 10" or something else?

Comment

Thanks GenoMax. Samtools sort sorts only bam files on the windows 10 terminal. With the sam file input, it gives the following error: samtools.exe has stopped working.

Also, does pysam work on windows? From what I saw, there is no pysam version for windows yet.

Thanks again,
          -M

Comment

AFAIK the linux version of samtools works with ubuntu bash terminal in windows 10. Are you not using that (I see a reference to samtools.exe)?

Comment

That is what I am using. samtools view works fine. The sort function works only on bam input, not on the sam input.

I downloaded unix utilities from
              http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm.

Now the linux sort works on windows.

Thanks again.
              -M

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses