No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping ESTs to genome

Hi:

I have some 454 and sanger reads that I want to map to a genome. I've tried with gmap. gmap find the introns, but tends to do a lot of small misalignments inside the exons that end up as false positive SNPs.
    I was wandering about possible alternatives. I've read the tophat page, but I don't know if it would be ok to map long reads (sanger and 454) with tophat. tophat is based on bowtie in the bowtie website the do not recommend to use it with long reads.
    Any advice on this matter.
    Best regards,

Jose Blanca

I normally use exonerate for this. Some alternative would include BLAT, sim4db and genome threader.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into them. I didin't know about sim4db and genome threader. sim4db seems interesting, the only problem is that it doesn't support sam output.
      exonerate is nice, but it is not possible to use it to align ESTs to a whole genome.

Comment

I frequently use exonerate to align ESTs to a genome using exonerate server. For example

Code:
        fasta2esd genome.fasta genome.esd
        esd2esi genome.esd genome.esi --memorylimit 2048

exonerate-server genome.esi --port 12886 &

exonerate --model est2genome ESTs.fasta  localhost:12886 --percent 70 --score 100 --showvulgar yes --softmaskquery no --softmasktarget yes --minintron 20 --maxintron 6000 --ryo ">%qi length=%ql alnlen=%qal\n>%ti length=%tl alnlen=%tal\n" --showalignment no  --showtargetgff yes --geneseed 250  > $file.exonerate
        Make sure to set percent and maxintron to something sensible for your situation. You can later parse the exonerate output to get GFF. I guess it would also be possible to write a parser to get SAM formatted output but this I don't have.

The main limitation I find with exonerate is that it's not multi threaded so you have to write your own wrapper to split a large input set of EST and distribute them across threads / nodes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses