Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina Miseq primer TM and library preparation for fungal metagenomics

I have previously worked with 454, but fairly new to Miseq platform. Using Nextera XT sample preparation kit, I am going to study soil and root fungal communities using fungal specific primers with TMs of 56.4 °C and 52.7 °C (Illumina overhanger not included). Illumina 16 S protocol recommends using primers with TM of 60-65 °C. I have seen papers that have used primers with TMs less than 60 °C, but I am told using primers with lower TM may cause low sequencing yield and poor sequence quality. One solution would be to add few nucleotides to the primers, but I am concerned adding nucleotides may negatively affect amplification of some fungal taxa. I appreciate any thoughts/ suggestions in this regard.
    In another matter, Illumina 16 S protocol suggests using an equal concentration of metagenomic DNA (5 ng/μl) for Amplicon PCR reactions. I am wondering if this is a strict requirement, I guess this concentration is too low for a successful PCR on environmental samples.
    Thanks

To compensate for lower Tm of primers, annealing temperature for Amplicon PCR step (1st PCR) need to be appropriately adjusted. The rest of the protocol can be used as recommended. KAPA polymerase buffer has higher salt concentration and that should be taken into account when calculating primer Tm. The recommended input DNA is 0.5 ng/ul of PCR reaction and considering multiple copies of target genes that amount is sufficient. Using more input DNA can be detrimental to PCR if any inhibitors are present.

Comment

Hi nucacidhunter, thank you for your advise. I am more concerned if lower TM could affect the sequencing procedure in MiSeq. I agree that it is possible to adjust annealing temperature in first PCR, but I cannot think of any strategy to deal with issues raised from lower primer TM in SBS chemistry.

Comment

Low Tm would affect sequencing if you were using custom sequencing primers for sequencing in MiSeq. Illumina protocol uses standard Illumina sequencing primers and binding sites for them is incorporated into design.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Hi Cyrus,

Were you at all successful with your sequencing run for fungal ITS? I am about to order primers for the same illumina protocol, but I'm also concerned about the melting temperature issues you brought up.

Comment

Hi tjpott, no I have not tried Miseq on fungal ITS yet. What are your primers?

Comment

i'm using gITS7 and ITS4 (see Ihrmark et al 2012 New primers to amplify the fungal ITS2 region – evaluation by 454-sequencing). I'm trying to get fungal diversity estimates from decomposing root material.

I'm also multiplexing with 3 additional gene targets (cDNA). Apparently there is serious bias toward smaller read length (not surprisingly) on the miSeq platform. The product length for the above target averages ~330 bp, but ranges from 150-600 bp. PacBio is the only platform capable of resolving these long read issues. I'm currently exploring this option as the sequencing facilities here on campus have not been successful with fungal ITS.

Comment

You are right clustering tend to be biased toward smaller amplicons. Knowing that miseq platform has been around for a few years now, I am also a bit surprised why only few papers are published on fungal ITS using Miseq. Any clue why people at your campus did not get good fungal ITS sequences on Miseq? Do you know if they use the same primers as yours? I previously used 454 for ITS1 on wheat root fungal communities and it worked quite fine and since then they have improved read length a lot, so if miseq does not work for you, you might consider pyrosequencing.

Comment

We have good luck sequencing fugal ITS1 on the MiSeq using the primers described in
                    Philipp-André Schmidt, Miklós Bálint, Bastian Greshake, Cornelia Bandow, Jörg Römbke, Imke Schmitt. (2013) Illumina metabarcoding of a soil fungal community. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 65:128-132, doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2013.05.014
                    They generate a product ~200bp which includes all of ITS1.
                    Last edited by kmcarr; 03-11-2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Hi kmcarr, this is promising. May I ask you which chemistry are you using, 500 cycles v2 or 600 cycles v3 and how many cycles you run? Did you bioanalyze your final library, if yes what was the size range? Illumina 16S protocol suggests using 5% phiax, but I heard for low diversity libraries you need to add more, what phiax proportion you use? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrus Taheri View Post
                        Hi kmcarr, this is promising. May I ask you which chemistry are you using, 500 cycles v2 or 600 cycles v3 and how many cycles you run? Did you bioanalyze your final library, if yes what was the size range? Illumina 16S protocol suggests using 5% phiax, but I heard for low diversity libraries you need to add more, what phiax proportion you use? thanks.
                        Hi,

For 16S and 18S emp based protocols we use 25% PhiX. We have not tried ITS regions yet but will do so soon using this reference:

Recent advances in molecular approaches and DNA sequencing have greatly progressed the field of ecology and allowed for the study of complex communities in unprecedented detail. Next generation sequencing (NGS) can reveal powerful insights into the diversity, composition, and dynamics of cryptic organisms, but results may be sensitive to a number of technical factors, including molecular practices used to generate amplicons, sequencing technology, and data processing. Despite the popularity of some techniques over others, explicit tests of the relative benefits they convey in molecular ecology studies remain scarce. Here we tested the effects of PCR replication, sequencing depth, and sequencing platform on ecological inference drawn from environmental samples of soil fungi. We sequenced replicates of three soil samples taken from pine biomes in North America represented by pools of either one, two, four, eight, or sixteen PCR replicates with both 454 pyrosequencing and Illumina MiSeq. Increasing the number of pooled PCR replicates had no detectable effect on measures of α- and β-diversity. Pseudo-β-diversity – which we define as dissimilarity between re-sequenced replicates of the same sample – decreased markedly with increasing sampling depth. The total richness recovered with Illumina was significantly higher than with 454, but measures of α- and β-diversity between a larger set of fungal samples sequenced on both platforms were highly correlated. Our results suggest that molecular ecology studies will benefit more from investing in robust sequencing technologies than from replicating PCRs. This study also demonstrates the potential for continuous integration of older datasets with newer technology.

We use QIIME for analysis of 16S, 18S and other like amplicons. We use a Version 2 chemistry and the 300 rxn kit - sequencing 2x151bp + 12 bp index codes. The details of how to set all this up, including modifying the MiSeq config files, is in the Supplemental to the ISME paper (attached). Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
                        Andor
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much! I am eager to learn how your ITS sequencing trials go, good luck!

Thank you,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses