Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read counts from SAM file mapped to de novo assembled transcripts using HTSeq-count

Hello,

Very sorry for cross posting it on other blog site but I'm under pressure to sort this out.

I tried using HTSeq-count to extract read counts per transcript from the SAM file (generated using Bowtie2 and only uniquely aligned reads were considered) mapped to de novo assembled transcripts (for DE analysis). I made GTF file for the assembled transcripts FASTA file with a Perl script. Here are few lines of my GTF file.

Locus_47_Transcript_16/31_Confidence_0.158_Length_1485 AssembledTranscriptome exon 1 1485 . + . gene_id "AssemTrans1"; transcript_id "Locus_47_Transcript_16/31_Confidence_0.158_Length_1485";

Locus_58_Transcript_85/85_Confidence_0.017_Length_650 AssembledTranscriptome exon 1 650 . + . gene_id "AssemTrans1"; transcript_id "Locus_58_Transcript_85/85_Confidence_0.017_Length_650";

Transcript start is by default 1 and end is the length of the transcript and Strand is + for all.

It looks like it works great but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. Don't know if I have to worry about what Simon Anders as mentioned "If you must align against the transcriptome, make sure that you count for genes, not transcripts, and remove reads mapping to transcripts from more than one gene."

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alan

Simon's comment is very much something to keep in mind, though the importance of that and how feasible the normal pipeline are will depend on the particulars of your experiment. As a biologist, it's easiest for me to understand changes at the gene level. Changes at the transcript level are undoubtedly important, but I honestly don't think that we have a good handle on how to really interpret the meaningfulness of most of these. Perhaps in whatever organism you work things are different, but without further details I don't think anyone could really say.

Comment

hello @alan_sm
      you said you made GTF file for the assembled transcripts FASTA file with a Perl script. could you please share the script?
      once i really needed to make GTF file myself but could not, because i am not familiar with the perl scripting. if you will here is my email : [email protected]
      thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses