No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small rna pipeline

hi..

I am working on small rna sequencing which was sequenced through illumina hiseq. the read length i got was 30bp. When i removed 3' adapter, i see that 90% of the reads are having 30bp. I tried with cutadapt, fastq-mcf tools but the result didnt change, peaking at 30bp. The adapter i got is correct adapter according to sequencing lab. When i look at other papers, everyone report that the peak is around 21- 24 bp.. can anyone suggest what steps i can do to process my data?

If your read length is 30bp and the expected length is around 21-24bp, then you should look for the first 6-9bp of the adapter and not the whole adaptor.

Comment

thank you for the reply..
      i did look for that using 5' adapter and it did not help either..

Comment

In Biopieces (www.biopieces.org) there is a tool called find_adaptor which allows removal of partial adaptors and was written specifically for this problem.

Comment

First, you should check manually your sequences to see if you always see the same 6-9bp sequence at the end and to confirm that you are using the correct adaptor sequence. For instance, if you expect the first 6 nucleotides of your adaptor to be ACGTGT and your file containing the sequences is named Reads.fastq:

Code:
          grep ACGTGT Reads.fastq | wc -l
          If the number you get is not close to the total number of reads, you might not be looking for the right sequence.

Comment

We wrote a tool called 'reaper' that is able to strip adapter sequence, including partial matches at the end. It comes with another program called 'minion' that can be used to deduce an adapter sequence from sequencing data. These tools are part of our 'Kraken' next-gen sequencing set of tools: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/research/enright/software/kraken. Extensive documentation is provided, but we can also advise.
            Last edited by micans; 03-05-2013, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Is this the adapter you tried to clip?

TGGAATTCTCGGGTGCCAAGGAACTCCAGTCAC
              ecSeq Bioinformatics is Europe’s leading provider of hands-on bioinformatics workshops and professional data analysis in the field of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS).

Comment

thank you for your advices, thats what minion fount from my data as well when i searched for adapter.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses