SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSeq cluster generation problems skosuri Illumina/Solexa 37 08-08-2014 03:05 AM
Kits for sequencing long amplicons on MiSeq odile Illumina/Solexa 0 03-07-2012 01:50 PM
v3: Effect of high cluster densities on cluster PF and %Q30 pmiguel Illumina/Solexa 3 10-05-2011 06:36 AM
TruSeq v3 Cluster Kits with TruSeq SBS kits? rgejman Illumina/Solexa 5 07-13-2011 11:33 AM
Mixing old and new kits jschluet Illumina/Solexa 3 03-31-2011 10:20 AM

Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
pmiguel

Question MiSeq cluster kits?

If you don't need a full 50 cycle or 300 cycle MiSeq run, is there anyway to use the remaining SBS reagents for another run? That is, is there any equivalent to the HiSeq cluster kits for the MiSeq?

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
epistatic

We asked the same question when we got our MiSeq. We were told to think of the SBS and cluster kits as 100% linked. If I had excess SBS reagent I cannot get a flow cell and have reagents to recluster without also buying the SBS. Our FAS also thought the residual SBS will automatically go to the waste at the end of the run. We haven't yet run any partial runs to verify.

They want to lock down potential user errors but also sell more reagents. We have to charge the full 50 cycle or 300 cycle price even if using less SBS.
epistatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
pmiguel

Weird. The cost for the 300 cycle kit is only about 50% higher than for the 50 cycle kit as well. I guess most of the cost must come from clustering.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
james hadfield
Cambridge, UK
Community Forum

You can remove the unused cycles and add them to another kit to extend the sequencing range. Totally unsupported of course and I've never done it ;-)
I believe you can also spexify as many bases as you like in the run setup and simply swap reagent cartridges mid-run to get 300bp+ runs.
james hadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by james hadfield View Post
I believe you can also spexify as many bases as you like in the run setup and simply swap reagent cartridges mid-run to get 300bp+ runs.
Uh...please tell us more if you've actually swapped reagent cartridges mid run on a production instrument. Doesn't seem like that's supported in any aspect of the instrument software...

I believe (and of course I'm happy to be proven wrong) that the longer runs we've seen (including my own) come from ONE reagent cartridge.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote