No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent gene lists: DESeq2, EdgeR, CuffDiff, and homemade glm

Hello,
    In an effort to get a reliable list of DEGs, I ran CuffDiff, EdgeR, and DESeq2. I though I would grab the overlapping genes and be good to go. However, the DEG lists outputted by each were quite different. Because of this, we decided to also write a GLMM that would be more transparent and easy to understand. This GLMM also gave a fairly different list (with some overlap of course).

The group I'm working with is inclined to go with the GLMM since we (the statistician in the group) knows what it is doing. My main worry is the CuffLinks, EdgeR, and DESeq2 are making some corrections to account for the biology of RNAseq data that we may not understand or incorporate into our GLM.

What important ways do CuffLinks, EdgeR, and DESeq2 diverge from a GLM? We're using glmer.nb with offset=log(librarysize).

Thank you,
    -James

Details:
    We have 14 samples done in triplicates.
    Read coverage is ranges from 16-55 million 100bp PE reads per sample.
    Aligned to mm10 with Tophat in cufflinks. 83-91% reads mapped.
    Used tophat alignments with HTSeq-count to get tables for DESeq2, EdgeR, and GLMM.
    Did 7 pairwise contrasts between treatments.

I attached a couple of images.

The venn diagrams show the overlap in DEG lists outputted by the 4 methods for the 7 different contrasts.

Second image shows MC plots for each contrast. X-axis is log2 of the mean htseq counts for all the genes. Y-axis is log2 fold change of treatment vs. mock.
    Attached Files

This is not an unheard of problem. There have been papers comparing different methods for DE and the results they produce. Here is one of them. There is at least one more that I remember but can't find at the moment.
    Last edited by GenoMax; 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the paper. Below are several more that address the issue.
      I'm still not sure if we should pick a method or use some agglomeration of them.

Seyednasrollah F, Laiho A, Elo LL. 2015. Comparison of software packages for detecting differential expression in RNA-seq studies. Brief Bioinform. 16:59–70. doi: 10.1093/bib/bbt086.

Zhang ZH et al. 2014. A Comparative Study of Techniques for Differential Expression Analysis on RNA-Seq Data. PLOS ONE. 9:e103207. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103207.

Rapaport F et al. 2013. Comprehensive evaluation of differential gene expression analysis methods for RNA-seq data. Genome Biology. 14:R95. doi: 10.1186/gb-2013-14-9-r95.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses