Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 vs. SOLiD

Hello, I run a core facility for the University of Arizona and we are about to jump into next gen seq. This is my first post and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question but I was wondering if there was a consensus from actual researchers on which next gen platform is preferred. Any and all replies are appreciated. I'm very excited to be a part of such a great forum!
    Ryan Sprissler
    Staff Scientist - manager University of Arizona Genetic Core (UAGC)

Hey Ryan!

I moved your post to the general forum so it gets wider viewing.

I think for a core facility you will need 454 + either Solexa/SOLiD. The drastic differences in read length/throughput are a good complement.

As to Solexa vs. SOLiD, there isn't much to judge yet for the ABI technology...that will likely play out over the next years.

Comment

Thanks ECO,
      I agree they are a great compliment to each other, with limited resources we are forced to pick one or the other. I have just started to see publications come out using SOLiD data and the sales reps are getting pretty pushy here at the end of Q4. Just wanted to find out if anybody had serious problems with either platform. Thanks again, by the way loved the Tasmanian Devil pic!
      Ryan Sprissler
      Staff Scientist - manager University of Arizona Genetic Core (UAGC)

Comment

Before jumping in you should definitely get a sense of what the PIs would get the most out of. While they are both considered next gen systems, short read and long read sequences are often very different animals as far as the applications they are used for. For example, 454 would be a waste for small RNA analysis and expression tags - but it can't be beat for metagenomics and transcriptome analysis.
        While I wouldn't underestimate ABI, I think Illumina beat them for this generation of short read next gen systems

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses