SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie. May ask a lot of stupid questions. entropy Introductions 1 03-07-2011 05:12 PM
Many, many dumb newbie questions GerryB Bioinformatics 3 04-23-2010 02:16 AM

Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
KenFlo1

Default Newbie here - I am writing a paper on Sequencing Companies and have a few questions..

I am writing a paper on Sequencing Companies for a MBA course I am taking regarding entrepreneurship and my paper is focusing on start-up companies (specifically Helico's and Pacific Bio) and how these companies sequencing machines pares up relative to established companies such as Roche and Illumina. Can anyone provide me with some information relative to their own personal experiences using Sequencing machines revolving around RNA / DNA 3rd generation sequencing and how the companies above compare to one another? From the information I have studied so far, their seems to be an infinite amount of information out there regarding which company does what but I am in information overload since my background in this type of new technology is very limited. I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade and I do understand some of the basics regarding this type of technology but again, my understanding is very limited. I do appreciate any feedback or links that provide some type of analysis of these companies sequencing machines as well as any personal experiences that members have had with them. I will post this thread on the other company boards. Thanks in advance!
KenFlo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
nilshomer
Nils Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFlo1 View Post
I am writing a paper on Sequencing Companies for a MBA course I am taking regarding entrepreneurship and my paper is focusing on start-up companies (specifically Helico's and Pacific Bio) and how these companies sequencing machines pares up relative to established companies such as Roche and Illumina. Can anyone provide me with some information relative to their own personal experiences using Sequencing machines revolving around RNA / DNA 3rd generation sequencing and how the companies above compare to one another? From the information I have studied so far, their seems to be an infinite amount of information out there regarding which company does what but I am in information overload since my background in this type of new technology is very limited. I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade and I do understand some of the basics regarding this type of technology but again, my understanding is very limited. I do appreciate any feedback or links that provide some type of analysis of these companies sequencing machines as well as any personal experiences that members have had with them. I will post this thread on the other company boards. Thanks in advance!

Please don't spam multiple forums with the same post.
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
KenFlo1

NilShomer:

Sorry - did not mean to spam. I was not able to post this thread in the general area. Is there any way this thread could be brought under the SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies general area? Again, my apologies..
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--

Kenflo,

We're all very excited for your homework assignment, but your entrance into the community with 6+ crossposts is not conducive to getting help. ( and frankly be glad that Nils the big softie found them first....)

Seems another great homework assignment would be to try to observe and understand a situation before jumping in. This site is filled with exactly what you seek, search a bit and read.

Also, carriage returns would be nice too.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
nilshomer
Nils Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
and frankly be glad that Nils the big softie found them first...
I can ratchet it up a notch if you want.
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
KenFlo1

Eco - with all due respect to you and nilshomer, I reposted my post on 4 (not 6) so again I do apologize. I do appreciate if you the members can help me out - I did not realize I could have posted my post via the general forum. Sorry again people...
Old 03-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
ECO
--Site Admin--

No worries. We're crabby about spam and people taking advantage of this community.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Joann

Default Poster from AAAS/Science Business Office

Hello Kenflo1:
This poster from the AAAS/Science Business Office is dated to 2007 and while there doesn't seem to be an updated version, it does include the companies mentioned in your query. The AAAS graphic may help with your focus on more recent events in the evolution of sequencing technology that can be tracked, for example, via the seqanswers.com discussion forums.

http://www.sciencemag.org/products/p...cingPoster.pdf

Joann
Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
atp

Nice Poster ...
atp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Joann

Default Update for writers of papers on sequencing companies

See:

The $100 Genome: Implication for the DoD (US Department of Defense)

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/jason/hundred.pdf

Check out the graphics collection!
Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
jiltysequence

Would love to get an update on this project. Did you ever end up using any of the information you found on this forum? I hope you understand how this is a community and the response you got at first. I would love to give you a couple of sources if you are still interested. Mainly, I am interested to know if you ran any tests running medical grade material through the sequencing simulation. I have been studying prototyping and this information could help me to decide what is and isn't possible in the world of science.

Last edited by jiltysequence; 06-23-2011 at 10:13 AM.
jiltysequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
Ithe1986
Banned

Default Newbie here - I am writing a paper on Sequencing Companies and have a few questions.

I would say that you can get the Job after MBA and you need to write a effective writing which will interact the many people for getting job.I have checked some information on the https://edubirdie.net/ site where I have checked good formation of writing which helped me alot.
Ithe1986 is offline   Reply With Quote