SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tophat2 aligment ratio reduced when increase insert size huan RNA Sequencing 0 12-28-2015 03:01 AM
Maximum Insert Size of Illumina Libraries? andyding Illumina/Solexa 3 10-29-2012 06:02 AM
Problem with BWA mapping of Illumina PE short insert size fragments (FFPE material) LadyGray Bioinformatics 2 10-22-2012 01:20 AM
bfast with illumina mate-pair and insert size estimation Protaeus Bioinformatics 3 01-19-2011 01:46 PM
insert size for illumina 72-SE jgibbons1 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 04-01-2010 12:20 PM

Old 12-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
huan

Default illumina aligment ratio reduced when increase insert size

We build two different cDNA library for the same sample with different size(196 and 225) for pair end sequencing by Hiseq with the same sequence length 126. Then we map the two set of sequencing data to the genome by tophat. But the result show that the insert size for 225bp cDNA library is only 200bp, so whats the matter of it? How can I deal with it?

Thanks a lot for any possible reply.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

Why are you using Tophat? Is this RNA data?

Anyway, insert size is pretty difficult to calculate with RNA-seq data; generally, I would expect the reported insert size by mapping to a genome to be longer than the actual insert size. If you are seeing it as shorter, then perhaps the people who made the library undershot the target.

Since your libraries should overlap, you can also get an insert size distribution purely from overlapping, with BBMerge; that will not be biased by genomic factors like like introns.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
huan

Thanks a lot @Brian Bushnell. You did inspire me. I'll have a try.
Thanks again.

Tags
alignment, hiseq, insert size