SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Counting read depth using bedtools Kaas Bioinformatics 4 02-21-2014 07:12 PM
Count C versus read length EpiBrass Bioinformatics 1 01-28-2014 12:58 AM
Counting CpG's per read, please check my logic. Heisman General 4 10-15-2013 06:14 AM
Counting number of short-read cover positions d_t_nguyen Bioinformatics 4 06-24-2013 12:55 AM
Using DESeq with Biological Replicates with Different RNAseq Read Lengths jbvt Bioinformatics 3 05-21-2013 07:34 AM

Old 06-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
chc*

Default Read counting and DESeq versus read abundance with MG-RAST

Hi all.
I am planning a metatranscriptomics experiment to investigate the changes in community and metabolic function of a Chlorella culture and it's associated bacterial consortium. Practical aspects of preparing the libraries aside, I want to gain some clarity on the following:
Do I go for simple mapping of reads to annotated genes using MG-RAST then use the abundance automatically computed here for statistical inference of changes in transcript abundance? Alternatively, i can sequence the metagenome. My understanding is that if it is simple I can then map the RNAseq metatranscriptomic reads to a metagenomic assembly (or assembled genomes found within the metagenome) then use HTseq count and DESeq for DE analysis.
What are the pros and cons/ what are the reasons for chosing one or the other please?
chc* is offline   Reply With Quote