No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with BED file in methylKit

Hello all!

I am using methylkit to analyze my methylation data in honey bees.
    I have converted a reference genome annotation file (gff3 file) to a bed file, then I run

gene.obj=readTranscriptFeatures(system.file("extdata", "amel_OGSv3.2_sorted.bed",
    package = "methylKit"))

The msg was that:
    Calculating intron coordinates...
    Error in convertBed2Introns(bed) : this is not a valid bed file.

My file is like this:
    Group1.1 377 436 . . - amel_OGSv3.1 CDS 2 Parent=GB42164-RA
    Group1.1 377 436 . . - amel_OGSv3.1 exon . Parent=GB42164-RA
    Group1.1 377 79932 GB42164 0.786254 - amel_OGSv3.1 gene . ID=GB42164
    Group1.1 377 79932 GB42164-RA 0.786254 - amel_OGSv3.1 mRNA . ID=GB42164-RA;Parent=GB42164
    Group1.1 650 969 . . - amel_OGSv3.1 CDS 0 Parent=GB42164-RA

Should I only keep the first 3 required columns, and test it again?
    Appreciate your thoughts.

Hi bbm,

I think the problem is not the name field, but the missing information on exon-intron structure (since the function "convertBed2Introns" called the error).
    Parsing a GFF3 file into something well usable is always hard. I'd go for converting your gff3-file into a gtf file, which is then easier to convert to a bed-file with exon-intron information.

Cheers,

Michael

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts. I have downloaded a bed file of honey bee from UCSC and tested in R, but it's still not working. This bed file has all 12 columns.
      The only difference is my bed file has "Group1" as the chromosome # in the first column, but the example file has "chr20" in the first column.

Error in convertBed2Introns(bed) : this is not a valid bed file

Originally posted by Michael.Ante View Post
      Hi bbm,

I think the problem is not the name field, but the missing information on exon-intron structure (since the function "convertBed2Introns" called the error).
      Parsing a GFF3 file into something well usable is always hard. I'd go for converting your gff3-file into a gtf file, which is then easier to convert to a bed-file with exon-intron information.

Cheers,

Michael

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses