SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is bcftools missing back-to-back/high-divergence-region SNPs (BWA mapping)? Genomics101 Bioinformatics 1 07-23-2012 01:08 PM
How to do the recalibration of non-human species without good SNP database Xin Fan Bioinformatics 3 05-24-2012 06:01 PM
Too few reads mapping back to contigs cerebralrust Bioinformatics 8 02-26-2012 10:25 PM
Genome references database with full taxonomy vyahhi Bioinformatics 1 01-21-2012 04:22 PM
PubMed: WebCARMA: a web application for the functional and taxonomic classification o Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-22-2009 02:10 AM

Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
oliviaxinw

Default Mapping species name back to taxonomy database to get higher taxonomic classification

Hi,

I'm new to bioinformatics and have a problem with getting taxonomic information for my contig database.

Currently I have a file that has all the contigs IDs with their taxonomic assignment to the species level as the output of an annotation pipeline. However, for another analysis, I want to group all the contigs by their higher taxonomic level, like family or order. How can I retrieve the higher taxonomic information through the species names?

Does anyone know a tool that can map the species name to NCBI taxonomy database and output the higher taxonomic level name information?

For example, when the input is Escherichia coli, the output would be: (in a table), Bacteria, Proteobacteria, Gammaproteobacteria, Enterobacteriales, Enterobacteriaceae, Escherichia.

Thanks.
oliviaxinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Cedric Woods

Smile Higher Taxonomic Classification

Hi Olivia
Try www.biolists.com.
It's new, so the database needs pumping up, but basic higher classification is available - mostly from Genus-level searches, otherwise from Families. The aim is all species with Common Names!
Cheers, Cedric
Cedric Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
fibar

Hi,
Old thread, but I'm also interested in Olivia's topic.
This is typical for a metagenomic data set.
I did not see bacterial names at BioLists, suggested by Cedric.
Any other help?
Thanks.
fibar is offline   Reply With Quote