SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLAST+ creating custom blast database and using blast+ filtering features deniz Bioinformatics 3 07-07-2019 08:04 AM
Annotate contigs with BLAST hit names; remove contigs with no hit Bueller_007 Bioinformatics 10 02-27-2013 10:22 AM
BLAST+ vs BLASTALL (legacy BLAST) Symphysodon Bioinformatics 4 10-25-2011 02:52 PM
BLAST database error - when changing to new BLAST+ local program biobio Bioinformatics 4 06-15-2011 05:20 AM
Reciprocal Blast With Multiple Contigs Per Gene jwhittall Bioinformatics 0 07-21-2010 01:20 PM

Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
dina

Default blast of the contigs

Hello,
I've sequenced a genome and received contigs. I'm trying to blast the contigs using megablast installed locally on our computer. For many of the contigs I receive the error message: could not calculate ungapped Karlin0Altshul parameters due to an invalid query sequence or its translation. Please verify the query sequence and/ or filtering options" .
Anybody knows what this means? Thank you !!!
dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
rglover
rg

Hi,
How big are your contigs? It would help if you could let us know what parameters/commands you are using to run the blast.
I've sometimes had that error message on 454 reads that consist only of sequence like (AC)n etc.
Cheers,
Rachel
rglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
dina

Default blast

Than you for your reply, I'm using the command:
megablast -b -1 -m 9 -i mapping/454AllContigs.fna -d /root/genome_annotation/blast/ncbi_nt/nt>blastout.txt

There are different contigs some are short and others are long
Old 11-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
westerman
Rick Westerman

That command line parameter of '-b -1' looks wrong. I will assume that you meant to and are actually using '-b 1' In which case I'll agree with rglover that it is either the composition and/or length of your input sequences that is causing problems. I suspect that we all run into that error message when we work with off-the-sequencer sequences.

It would be helpful if you could post

(a) approximately how many of your sequences are having the problem (i.e., 1%, 10%, 50%?)

(b) the actual nucleotides in one or two of your problem sequences
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
dina

Default blast

It happens for about 10% of the reads. I guess it is indeed because the quality of the read.
another question about blast: when I run it with this command:megablast, I receive in the end a big html file, part of wfich just says "no hits" for some of the contigs. Is there any way to present it in a more readable format? begining with the best hits (aas in the web) and to show the aligment (the format that I recive when I run blast at the web),
Thanks alot!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
westerman
Rick Westerman

Your question "as in the web" is vague. I presume you are talking about NCBI blast but even there you can receive the results back in a variety of different formats. Their default is closer to the '-m 0' format. If you have looked at the other megablast format besides the one you gave (e.g., -m 9) and none of them a good for you then please describe exactly what you want and maybe we can help out.

Personally when looking at the thousands of sequences I usually get with a 2nd gen sequencing project, the '-m 8' (tabular) or '-m 7' options are the ones I use. Formats besides those two become hard to parse and summarize. But your requirements are probably much different than mine.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote