SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PubMed: 'Next-generation' sequencing becomes 'now-generation'. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-22-2012 02:23 AM
PubMed: Sequencing of BAC pools by different next generation sequencing platforms and Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 10-18-2011 10:10 AM
about next generation sequencing shailesh Introductions 7 12-27-2009 10:03 PM
PubMed: Whole genome assembly from 454 sequencing output via modified DNA graph conce Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-30-2009 05:07 AM
Evaluation of next generation sequencing platforms for population targeted sequencing div1982 Literature Watch 0 04-23-2009 06:39 AM

Old 01-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
martin_313

Default Apllications of Graph Theory in Next Generation Sequencing

Hello everyone,

I'm a math student interested in graph theory and its applications in biology. Sadly, biomathmeatics and bioinformatics in general are somewhat neglected at my university.

During my next semester, I'll have 2-3 months to write a paper on a topic of my choosing and I've thought about doing something relaxted to Next Generation Sequencing.
I'm currently doing an out-of-university-internship where I have to work with some Next Generation Assembly programs, so I've heard of De Bruijn Graphs and their role in assembly. However, I am not sure whether this topic by itself would be complex enough to devote my whole paper to it, so I'm currently looking for further ideas for a possible topic.
Can anyone point me to other areas of Next Generation Sequencing / genetics / bioinformatics where graph theory is applied?

Thank you for your answers
Martin
martin_313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
steven

Recently a nice review was suggested to learn about genome assembly using De Bruijn graphs. You may want to look at transcriptome assembly too. I would say that there is quite a lot to read and write on graphs for NGS.
Graphs are used in many applications.. right away I would cite "splicing graph" for instance, but as Directed Acyclic Graphs can easily substitute Hidden Markov Models you may find them in problems like gene finding or multiple alignment.
I would browse pubmed, like this for instance or like this.

Now maybe others will contribute with better propositions..

Anyway, thanks for your interest, good luck and enjoy!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
rskr

Sadly Graph Theory doesn't help very much in biology. Graph applications on the other hand are very valuable. If you know what I mean.
rskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
alec

There has been some use of graph theory in haplotyping. See:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/3-540-44676-1_15
http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.../i153.abstract
alec is offline   Reply With Quote