SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > 454 Pyrosequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Support for Tapatalk? DineshCyanam Site Feedback/Suggestions 7 12-21-2013 09:07 AM
A Lack of an "Original" SOLiD Paper--why? SamCurt SOLiD 5 11-07-2011 08:17 AM
Mapper with annotation support dbrami Bioinformatics 1 07-21-2010 01:14 PM
retrieving reads from SRA - lack of documentation NGSfan General 1 06-22-2010 06:09 AM
PubMed: A high-resolution, nucleosome position map of C. elegans reveals a lack of un Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-15-2008 07:43 AM

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
HMorrison

Unhappy GS lack of support

Is it just our lab or is anyone else not getting much help these days? Not from Indianapolis, Branford, sales rep, anywhere...getting a bad feeling about the future of this company.
HMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
nickloman

Lex Nederbragt just wrote a blog post asking a similar question:
http://flxlexblog.wordpress.com/2012...lx-sequencing/

Come on Roche, show you care!
nickloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
epistatic

Our really good 454 rep just left Roche and the roll out of the FLX+ has been very slow and disorganized. Maybe their efforts are on putting out the next best thing or I agree they are soon done.
epistatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
HMorrison

How do I even get 2.6 s/w? I see people are using it and we weren't even told about it. Still on 2.53.

Read the blog; now thinking I should hold off on scheduling the upgrade if we can't even keep Ti protocols working. 90% of our work is pyrotag sequencing anyway and amplicon protocol may never be developed officially.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
RCJK

You can get v2.6 via your customer FTP account with them.

Roche support has always been lacking, so I don't think things are much different now than anytime last year. At least that's how things are here.
RCJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
MissDNA

Agreed with RCJK.

We had our upgrade 2 wks ago but we havenīt performed any FLX+ yet because one of our CB+ buffer bottles arrived broken, so we had no reagents to run it. We did a Tf run using reg Titanium and it passed. We donīt know when our FLX+ reagents will arrive. Another big mistake: Roche people didnīt mention that we needed sipper tubes and prewash tubes +, even if we are still using reg tit, so we had to improvise. Over all they should not have upgraded our machine till all the reagents and correct plastics were here. We got some prewash tubes + yesterday and should start running this week.

After all that we are really hoping for a better tech support but we shall see...
MissDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
HMorrison

We have no customer FTP account. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJK View Post
You can get v2.6 via your customer FTP account with them.

Roche support has always been lacking, so I don't think things are much different now than anytime last year. At least that's how things are here.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Adam Witney

We got it without any customer account:

http://my454.com/products/analysis-software/index.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMorrison View Post
We have no customer FTP account. Hmm.
Adam Witney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Witney View Post
We got it without any customer account:

http://my454.com/products/analysis-software/index.asp
True, that will get you v 2.6 of the analysis software but not the new versions of the instrument software; those you can only get directly your Roche/454 contacts. HMorrison will should to contact his/her FAS or product rep and rattle their cages, but I understand this is easier said than done. Both our FAS and sales rep have recently left Roche for other companies and we can't get in touch with the supposed new ones. I'll have to politely disagree with RCJK and MissDNA, getting support from Roche as gotten noticeably worse over the past year.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
HMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcarr View Post
True, that will get you v 2.6 of the analysis software but not the new versions of the instrument software; those you can only get directly your Roche/454 contacts. HMorrison will should to contact his/her FAS or product rep and rattle their cages, but I understand this is easier said than done. Both our FAS and sales rep have recently left Roche for other companies and we can't get in touch with the supposed new ones. I'll have to politely disagree with RCJK and MissDNA, getting support from Roche as gotten noticeably worse over the past year.
Our sales rep is long on assurances and short on follow through...blamed problems on my academic email and we communicate through gmail these days which is insane. Not even sure if we have an FAS anymore. Misery loves company; glad it isn't just my imagination. Oh for the old days of Janna Lanza.

Working on debugging the series of extremely poor runs on my own. Eventually hope to get back to my Illumina and PGM datasets!! My new sig file says "One and only one sequencing platform can be productive at any point in time." Morrison's Law.

Right now, it's the PGM.

Hilary
Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
kmcarr

Quote:
Oh for the old days of Janna Lanza.

Hilary
We LOVED Janna!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
MissDNA

Well you guys have better lucky in the US. Our FAS has been the same since 09, and has never done much for us. Till beginning of 2011 I had direct contact with Penzberg but they transfered our tech support to Latin America. I hope things improve here because we had a series of meetings to discuss the issue and our FAS is willing to improve but as I said: "we shall see..."

I do like our engineers. They do their best with what they have. If things are bad in the US, is even harder over here.

We are getting a PGM soon. Hopefully tech support will be better.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
HMorrison

Okay, Roche is now responding--FAS has gotten in touch and there are some possible reasons for our string of failures other than incompetence on our part.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
HMorrison

Quote:
Okay, Roche is now responding--FAS has gotten in touch and there are some possible reasons for our string of failures other than incompetence on our part.
Update--problems not resolved and sales rep has once again dropped the ball on FLX+ upgrade.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #15
HMorrison

Still no change. I think Roche has decided to stop supporting true amplicon sequencing and amplicon processing pipeline; it isn't cost effective for them.
Is anyone out there actually using the amplicon processing pipeline but us? HMP sequencing centers' pyrotag 'amplicon' sequencing SOP (shotgun library kits and shotgun processing to get amplicon data) hurt us badly...
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
WPAFB

We got Roche to come out to service the instrument two weeks ago. But we had to call and nag and pester them for weeks to get them to respond. And the tech only had to drive 50 miles to get here. *sigh*
WPAFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #17
kmcarr

Quote:
Is anyone out there actually using the amplicon processing pipeline but us? HMP sequencing centers' pyrotag 'amplicon' sequencing SOP (shotgun library kits and shotgun processing to get amplicon data) hurt us badly...
Hilary,

You are not alone. We ended up with a number of pissed off customers because it didn't work. That HMP 16S protocol was a debacle.

Maybe we should start a support group.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
HMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcarr View Post
Hilary,

You are not alone. We ended up with a number of pissed off customers because it didn't work. That HMP 16S protocol was a debacle.

Maybe we should start a support group.
I am so ready to just give up on this company and turn my energy towards making the HiSeq work well for us...the PGM has an unfortunately high rate of non-random error for amplicon reads and most of the PGM team came from Roche anyway. We're certainly not going to bother with the FLX+ upgrade now. Would just add more variables.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
MissDNA

We are still waiting on supplement CB+ to perform our 1st Plus run. I am super curious. It is amazing that we have been waiting almost 3 months from the day they delivered the first reagents till now to get a complete kit in the lab.

About amplicon 16S we only performed a few runs, they worked all right and our bioinformatician used the amplicon pipeline for analysis. He did looked at the data produced with SG pipeline and said it was not trustworthy.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
HMorrison

We decided NOT to upgrade. 90% of what we do is amplicon work, and I don't believe there will ever be a FLX+ amplicon protocol or updated processing pipeline for it.

The picture shows the distribution of read lengths for the two pipelines. Amplicon reads SHOULD form a tight distribution at a long length. Shorter reads didn't make it as far with good quality--why would someone want them? Rhetorical question.

Can't believe you've been waiting 3 months for one component though. My sympathies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shotgun_vs_amplicon.jpg (37.0 KB, 57 views)