SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starBase: explore microRNA–mRNA interaction maps from CLIP-Seq and Degradome-Seq data yjhua2110 Bioinformatics 8 09-27-2011 08:45 AM
BWA parameters for mRNA-seq aligning against mRNA refseq kwicher SOLiD 1 09-19-2011 03:45 AM
starBase: explore microRNA–mRNA interaction maps from CLIP-Seq and Degradome-Seq data yjhua2110 Literature Watch 1 02-02-2011 08:50 AM
mrna seq or directional mrna seq link1 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 08-12-2010 05:58 PM
ChIP-Seq: Genome-wide chromatin maps derived from limited numbers of hematopoietic pr Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 07-14-2010 02:00 AM

Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
atg...tga

Default Annotating mRNA-Seq maps/alignments

Hey all,

Bear with me as I ask a noob question, I'm completely overwhelmed by the information on analysis software that's out there and not sure what applies to what I want to do with my data.

I have a set of mRNA-Seq raw data files (as well as eland analyzed files) from an Illumina 1G GA and I've managed to figure out how to align my reads to a reference genome (using Bowtie, yeilding .map or .sam files). Now what I really want is to get reads per gene, I'm purely interested in gene expression levels, not splice variants or stuff like that.

What would be the best way to do this? Where would one obtain the annotated reference sequences (the genbank ones on NCBI seem to all be small chunks categorized per chromosome). What software do people use for this? Any help on this is much, much appreciated.

Cliff notes: have aligned mRNA-Seq data, want reads per gene, how?