SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
explain plz depth for formula or theory? jeonhj Bioinformatics 1 01-20-2015 08:29 PM
Do you need to learn or refresh your molecular biology theory and lab bench skills? ScottC Events / Conferences 0 10-14-2014 05:39 PM
Can any one help with Lander waterman equations? D.Alshehri Bioinformatics 2 05-09-2013 03:55 AM
Smith Waterman for 3 Sequences julx5 Bioinformatics 0 03-05-2013 09:20 AM
Apllications of Graph Theory in Next Generation Sequencing martin_313 General 3 02-08-2012 12:40 PM

Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
netpumber

Default Lander-Waterman theory explanation

Hi.

Could someone post any reference or describe the logic of the that theory (even with images). I read the text on wikipedia but couldn't understand much because i'm now beginning with NGS.

Is this a method to estimate the quality of your library and the size of its fragments ? When do we use calculators for that ?

Thank you.

Last edited by netpumber; 03-02-2015 at 12:41 AM.
netpumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:28 AM   #2
dariober

Quote:
Originally Posted by netpumber View Post
Is this a method to estimate the quality of your library and the size of its fragments ? When do we use calculators for that ?
Assuming reads map randomly to the reference genome, you can plan your experiments and answer questions like: How much coverage do I expect if I sequence so many reads? How many genomic positions can I expect to be covered by at least n reads (useful for SNP detection)?

Say your genome is of size G, you sequence N reads of length L, this R code answers the two questions above (given all the assumptions required):

Code:
L<- 100
G<- 3*1e9
N<- 100*1e6

## Expected coverage
C<- (L*N)/G

## % genome covered with depth...
depth<- 0:10
exp_cov<- dpois(depth, lambda= C) * 100
ggdepth<- qplot(x= depth, y= exp_cov, xlab= 'Depth', ylab= '% genome', main= 'Amount of genome\ncovered at depth n') + geom_line()
ggCum<- qplot(x= rev(depth), y= cumsum(rev(exp_cov)), xlab= 'Depth', ylab= '% genome', main= 'Amount of genome \ncovered at least with depth n') + geom_line()

This is just a use case example...
dariober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Just to make explicit something in dariobers great reply, the general theory is that if reads are uniformly drawn from the genome, then coverage should follow a Poisson distribution.

It should be noted that in reality this isn't the case, and I don't think anyone actually uses this equation for these purposes anymore. In fact, it's vastly more reliable to just generate fake reads and then map them, since it turns out that not all regions are very mappable and there's also often a bias in what's even sequenced.

Having said that, the original context of the equations was more useful for assembly, since the equations can answer how many gaps one should expect given a certain number of reads (clones originally, but this was all pre-NGS). Again, though, I think people would be more likely to use k-mer frequency histograms for this sort of thing these days.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
netpumber

Thank you very much guys.
netpumber is offline   Reply With Quote