No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced coverage predictor

Hi all,

Is there some kind of a Poisson calculator out there that will predict not only mean coverage but coverage at various percents? For example, given a human genome, what mean coverage do I need to get 95% of my bases covered at greater than 30X?

Thanks!!

Seth

Use ppois in R

If I'm not mistaken, what you're asking is essentially: if I assume a Poisson distribution, what mean rate do I need to have for at least 95% of the area under my curve above 29?

The answer to that can be found using a simple lapply or for loop in R. Here's what the for loop would look like:

Code:
    for(i in 30:75) {
     # ppois returns the density under the curve, lower.tail=F
     # specifies that you want to return the area under the curve
     # at or above 30
      cat(i,ppois(29,i,lower.tail=F),"\n")
    }
    This prints out the mean coverage, and the percentage of bases with at least 30X coverage. The answer to your question appears to be that you should aim for mean coverage of at least 40X.

The code isn't that great, but it should give you an idea of how to answer the question.

Comment

I made this. Does it look right?

It suggests that to get >95% 30-fold coverage I need an average coverage of 41...can that be right??
      Last edited by scrosby; 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Yup! I think I got that you need at least 40X average coverage.

I haven't done much WGS, mainly exome sequencing, but I'd also bear in mind that due to GC content, the genome you're sequencing, the instrument you're using, and other factors, you may not see 95% of the genome with at least 30X coverage.

Comment

scrosby: Fixed it for you using imgur.com. Sent you a PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses