No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELAND limitation with version 4 kits

Hi!
    I have been using GAPipeline and ELAND for about a year with no major problems - mainly for the QC of the runs.

Recently, we started to see a weird pattern in the Summary.htm generated by GERALD - in each lane, starting with a certain tile, there were 0 reads aligned to the genome in every tile after that (and the tile).

I looked at the output of the pipeline, and I didn't see any unusual output from ELAND - except an occasional error like this:

Code:
    eland_28: /u01/illumina/GAPipeline-1.5.1/c++/programs/ELAND_outer.cpp:999: virtual void MatchTableMulti::print(OligoSource&, MatchPositionTranslator&, const std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >&, const std::vector<unsigned int, std::allocator<unsigned int> >&, const SuffixScoreTable&, int): Assertion `feof(pMatchType_)==0' failed.
    /bin/sh: line 3: 24462 Aborted                 /u01/illumina/GAPipeline-1.5.1/bin/eland_28 s_1_1_eland_query.txt /u01/db/genomes/Hs/hg18 s_1_eland_multi.txt.
    but not consistently and not for every lane - although the above pattern is consistent, in every lane.

We are running version 1.5.1 of GAPipeline, compiled on a x86_64 linux (CentOS 5.4) with 8 CPU cores and 32GB of RAM. It worked just fine before the v4 kits - and we were running 8 threads for both the pipeline (make -j 8) and ELAND (ELAND_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES 8)

The first thing that I tried was to run it with just one thread - but it made no difference.

Then, I looked at the content of the lanes and noticed that the tile where the problem starts is dependent on how many clusters (reads) there are in that lane.
    For example, a lane where we had 34 million reads had the problem at tile 119, while a lane where we had about 40 million reads had the problem at tile 102 - which made me think that the read number is stored somewhere in the code on less than 36 bits (which is a weird number).

I looked back and I noticed that we never had more than 20million reads in one lane before the version 4 kits - and that's why we probably never hit this problem before, on the same hardware and pipeline software version.

To verify this hypothesis, we ran GERALD on half of the tiles (first half in one run and the second half in another run) and they were fine. The problem is that combining the output of the two GERALD runs is not trivial - we might have to merge the 2 directories and run the last stages of the pipeline again. but it's not a trivial solution.

It seems that the code needs some review for version 4 kits.
    Tony, help please?

Thanks,
    Razvan

Hi,

Version 4 kit chemistry is not compatible anymore with GAPipeline 1.5. One should analyze v.4 kits data with the new software OLB1.6 & CASAVA (incl. ELANDv2) v.1.6.

Kind regards

Maria

Comment

Thanks, Maria!
      This was the next step that I was going to try - running GERALD/ELAND from CASAVA 1.6.

Razvan

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses