No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowtie mapping report

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing some of the bowtie options, but when I map my reads against a pile of contigs (together in a reference file) and when I make the same mapping but only with one contig alone, I do obtain a different number of mapped reads ("reads with at least one reported alignment") for that contig. These are the options I normally use:

bowtie -f --sam --best

Any idea?

Thanks

This will be the result of having reads which could have been aligned to several different contigs. If you run the above command against all of them then the read will be assigned to the best alignment across all contigs.

If you run against just one contig then there will be reads which match well enough against that contig to be counted as a hit, but which matched better elsewhere and would have been reported there when searched against all of your contigs.

If you need to see consistency then you'd need to specify -m 1 as an option so that only reads with exactly one valid alignment would be reported, however this is a much more stringent search and your overall mapping efficiency would be reduced.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the quick answer!
      So if I want to do an alignment where there's no limit in the number of hits (-m has no limit) a read is reported (i.e., take each contig in the ref file as independent), should I take off the --best option? Or what do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by cascoamarillo View Post
        So if I want to do an alignment where there's no limit in the number of hits (-m has no limit) a read is reported (i.e., take each contig in the ref file as independent), should I take off the --best option? Or what do you recommend?
        If you want to report multiple alignments you will need to increase -k (number of hits to report) to a suitably large value, and not set -m. We would normally then recommend running this in combination with --best and --strata which will ensure that all of the hits reported are equally good (ie same number of mismatches), so poorer valid hits are not reported if a better hit exists. This combination of options will still suffer from the effect you mentioned earlier where you won't get the same results from mapping against each contig individually compared to mapping against them all together.

If you really want to see every possible valid hit then you'd need to set -k to a high value, not set -m and not set either --best or --strata. This will produce consistent results (as long as you don't reach the limit for -k), but will also include sub-optimal hits when a better hit is found (eg you might see hits with 3 mismatches reported where there is also an exact match in your search set).

Comment

i have a bowtie map output. as i am a newbie. i dont know what does the file designate..?? Does the file only have the aligned ones or does the report the unaligned formats also..?? Please help...

Comment

The default bowtie output will only show mapped sequences. The number of unmapped reads will be reported in the summary provided at the end of the run. You can optionally ask the program to write out a fastq file of the reads which didn't align by passing the --un parameter when you run the program.

Comment

Thank you simon..
              can you type me the rough commandline for that. i havent used the --un parameter yet.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses