No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5S rRNA contamination

Hi everyone.

I'm new in this world of NGS and HTS and I need some help in understanding some issues.
    I've just received a set of sequences from RNA-Seq in Illumina Platform. I personally prepared the cDNA library to be used in the sequencing reaction, starting from total RNA from gram-negative bacterial.
    To get rid of the rRNA I used RiboZero kit (for gram-negative bacteria) and the treatment was really successful, except for low amounts of 5S rRNA that still remains. But it seems that is something normal using this kit.
    The expert from the Genome Platform and my supervisor agreed in continuing with the sequencing, and it turns out that the final data contains "5S rRNA contamination"…, what is not a surprise, of course.
    I use CLC Workbench Genomics to run the data analysis. After QC analysis, sequencing seemed to be of very good quality. And after trimming, I obtained about 40% of unmapped reads, what seems reasonable. The mapping was against a Reference Genome downloaded from NCBI, containing only the chromosome.
    I run the analysis to compare "non-specific matches" (max hits = 10) and "specific matches" (max hits =1)… and in both cases I obtained a huge amount of reads that map with a small region, of about 119bp of the 5S rRNA subunit of 1 of the 5 operons that exists.
    Running a RNA-Seq analysis against the same genome, but using "rRNA" track, instead "genes" or "CDS" tracks, I obtained a mapping of about 18% to the same region.

The question is the following. Should I be worried about the accuracy of the RNA-Seq experiment due to this contamination of 5S? Should I repeat the sequencing reaction after getting rid completely of the remaining 5S rRNA in the samples? Or in contrast, could I use the expression value obtained if I just eliminate tRNAs and rRNAs from the Reference Genome (running the analysis agains a multicast file of all genes gave almost the same result than the aligned genome)

Thank you very much in advance

An additional information:
    Comparing the analysis against "all genes" (including CDS, tRNA and rRNA genes) or "only CDS", the % of not mapped reads rise from about 40 to about 60%…, logical if we take into account about 18% mapping if we only consider rRNA gene sequences to perform the analysis.
    But…., is that 60% not mapped reads to high????

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses