No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library fragment size

Hey All,

I have previously done my own library prep for PE100 on HiSeq4000 and my fragment size is around 300bp recommended.

This time when I completed library prep my fragments range from 300-400bp and have failed QC done by the sequencing core.

Some samples have a tiny peak at 113-117bp - the library prep kit I use is NEBnext RNA Ultra Library prep with ribosomal RNA depletion - this kit says that peaks at 80bp and 125bp is an issue and requires clean up.

The sequencing core did a clean up but some samples are still failing. I have written to them to ask exactly what QC parameters are failing.

Bioanalyser traces attached if that helps.

Sample 4-6 were from difficult to handle samples so it isn't a surprise that library prep didn't work.
    Sample 23-24 are blank controls.

I guess my main questions are:
    1) Have you successfully sequencing PE100 with fragment sizes up to 400bp?
    2) Is the small peak at 113-117bp an issue?

Any suggestions / comments are welcome!

Thank you!
    Attached Files

1) We routinely sequence libraries with tails stretching >400bp, sometimes to 1-2kb. But we use a HiSeq 2500. From what I've read, longer inserts can be an issue for HiSeq 3000/4000 because these amplicons can "jump the walls" of the patterned flowcell, creating duplicate (and possibly mixed) clusters.
    But I don't know if, in practice, this really is an issue.
    2) Some percentage of your reads will derive from adapter-dimers (zero insert amplicons.) The percentage of these reads is always higher than expected based on relative molar concentrations. Alas, if the concentration of the adapter-dimer is fairly high, you can't get rid of all of it using gel cuts or ampure -- because some of it will be annealed to full-insert library molecules since they share the same adapter sequences.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses