Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA extraction DNAdvance

During an attempt to isolate DNA from spores and save a days work I started to wonder about the contents of DNAdvance secret ingredients.

isolating DNA from spores does NOT work with this kit, i tried modifying the protocol by adding 0.5mm glass beads together with the lysis buffer proceeded by 3X20 seconds in a bead-beater incubation 20 min. at 60C after the glass beads settled on the bottom the supernatant was pipette out - followed by the rest of the original protocol. - did not work either.

however i would like to know the content of the lysis buffer and the Bind1 buffer and Bind2 buffer (besides beads)
    any other recommendations in terms of DNA extraction from stubborn spores (using the kit) are of course appreciated

below is the only description given the manufacture
    link to product protocol and details https://www.beckmancoulter.com/wsrpo...000151v001.pdf

Reagent-------------Description----------------Storage Condition Upon Arrival
    Lysis Buffer-----------Lysis (clear)-------------------Room Temperature
    Proteinase K----------Lyophilized Enzyme----------(-20°C)
    Proteinase K Buffer--Proteinase K Buffer (clear)---Room Temperature
    Bind1 Buffer----------Binding solution (clear)------Room Temperature
    Bind2 Buffer----------Magnetic Solution------------(4°C)
    Elution Buffer---------12mM Tris pH 8.0-------------Room Temperature
    Last edited by Strangelove; 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM.

i am looking for information about homemade AMPure/serapure or someone with general knowledge about the underling function of caboxylated beads.

Q1: for instance can carboxylated beads be used for genomic DNA extraction or does the beads need another coating such as streptavidin?

Q2: is there a limit to the size of DNA extracted with carboxylated beads?

Q3: does any know if the DNA affinity for the beads is only depended on PEG and high salt concentrations, or does pH have a effect as well?

as mentioned i have been trying to extract DNA from mycelia and spores with various lysing buffer ect. glass bead disruption prior to AMPure DNA extraction and so on. currently i am able achieve a crud extraction (pore quality low yield) 1-4ng/ul. i have used a set of ITS primers to estimate the quality and reliability of this method but without any success. to be honest i don't know if the eluted samples contain full length gDNA or only fragmented DNA. should probably run a gel..

any help or just a reply would be gladly accepted
    Last edited by Strangelove; 10-04-2014, 09:38 AM. Reason: no reply

Comment

bump me up

Comment

This kit seems to be designed for extracting DNA from other tissue types. You may try products that are designed for your application.

Comment

Spore is hard to disrupt. You may try to use steel ball with longer beating for spore disruption. Incubation in FFPE Magpure bind buffer at 60oC helps too.

Originally posted by Strangelove View Post
          During an attempt to isolate DNA from spores and save a days work I started to wonder about the contents of DNAdvance secret ingredients.

isolating DNA from spores does NOT work with this kit, i tried modifying the protocol by adding 0.5mm glass beads together with the lysis buffer proceeded by 3X20 seconds in a bead-beater incubation 20 min. at 60C after the glass beads settled on the bottom the supernatant was pipette out - followed by the rest of the original protocol. - did not work either.

however i would like to know the content of the lysis buffer and the Bind1 buffer and Bind2 buffer (besides beads)
          any other recommendations in terms of DNA extraction from stubborn spores (using the kit) are of course appreciated

below is the only description given the manufacture
          link to product protocol and details https://www.beckmancoulter.com/wsrpo...000151v001.pdf

Reagent-------------Description----------------Storage Condition Upon Arrival
          Lysis Buffer-----------Lysis (clear)-------------------Room Temperature
          Proteinase K----------Lyophilized Enzyme----------(-20°C)
          Proteinase K Buffer--Proteinase K Buffer (clear)---Room Temperature
          Bind1 Buffer----------Binding solution (clear)------Room Temperature
          Bind2 Buffer----------Magnetic Solution------------(4°C)
          Elution Buffer---------12mM Tris pH 8.0-------------Room Temperature

Comment

Check google for US patent no. 5,898,071.

The lysis buffer is likely 0,8 N NaOH + 8% SDS.
            I guess bind1 is the PEG-NaCl-buffer and bind2 are the beads (in TE-buffer).

For homemade AmpureBeads: https://ethanomics.wordpress.com/201...pure-xp-beads/

Q1: carboxylated beads could be used for gDNA-extraction, they do not need a further coating.
            Q2: There is a lower limit for the size. You can perform size-selection with the beads. It heavily depends on the PEGNA-ratio
            Q3: It depends on PEG-NaCl. According to the patent you can use PEG6000-10000 (around 10% w/v) and NaCl >5M. pH and temperature >0<100°C do not matter

Cheers.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses