Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conversion of total DNA (ng) into nM

Hi all, I've just finished preparing 72 samples for sequencing, these have prepared using index primers and so I want to pool them together before running on the sequencer. I've been told I need 10ul of a 10nM pool for each run but I'm not sure how to convert my individual concentrations (currently in ng/ul) into nano Moles? Also, I've quantified my final libraries using pico green, do people think this is an accurate way to quantify them?

Thanks for any help!

You need to know the length of your DNA; here is one useful cheat sheet from Epicentre with example calculations & the useful constants (650 Daltons/bp, for example)

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
      You need to know the length of your DNA; here is one useful cheat sheet from Epicentre with example calculations & the useful constants (650 Daltons/bp, for example)
      Thanks krobison, I've looked at that site and it's still not clear to me and when I try to calculate the numbers I get very strange results. I have 1ug of a 1.5Mb region and I need 10nM for sequencing, according to the epibio sheet:
      1 pmole of 1,000 bp DNA = 0.66 µg so if I have 1.5Mb thats 1500X 1,000bp
      1 pmole of 1.5Mb of DNA = 990 ug and I need 10nM so thats 10,000X 1 pmole

There is something I'm doing totaly wrong in my calculations but I cant see it, can anyone enlighten me? Thanks in advance...

Comment

There is no way your library is 1.5Mb in length. What size did you shear it to and what is the average size on the Bioanalyzer? Thats the length you use.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
          There is no way your library is 1.5Mb in length. What size did you shear it to and what is the average size on the Bioanalyzer? Thats the length you use.
          That makes sense now, our library is about 350bp so now the calculations all seem to be within realistic quantities. Thank you very much NGS I thought I was going mad?

Comment

Originally posted by HGENETIC View Post
            Hi all, I've just finished preparing 72 samples for sequencing, these have prepared using index primers and so I want to pool them together before running on the sequencer. I've been told I need 10ul of a 10nM pool for each run but I'm not sure how to convert my individual concentrations (currently in ng/ul) into nano Moles? Also, I've quantified my final libraries using pico green, do people think this is an accurate way to quantify them?

Thanks for any help!
            Okay, I'm not sure that anyone answered your question.

500ng/uL * 1x10^6 uL/L * bp mol/660g * 1/350bp = 2,164.5nM

ssDNA is 330g/bp mol

Pico Green is a great way to quantify, if you have the time. But, what it cannot do...just as nanodrop and other absorbance type quant methods...is quant your material that is "clusterable". That is...it is not telling you the quantity of library that you have that has both adapters/primers attached, so be careful when you use anything other than qPCR. But, you would assume that after PCR you would have outcompeted all the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by SeqR&D View Post
              Okay, I'm not sure that anyone answered your question.

500ng/uL * 1x10^6 uL/L * bp mol/660g * 1/350bp = 2,164.5nM

ssDNA is 330g/bp mol

Pico Green is a great way to quantify, if you have the time. But, what it cannot do...just as nanodrop and other absorbance type quant methods...is quant your material that is "clusterable". That is...it is not telling you the quantity of library that you have that has both adapters/primers attached, so be careful when you use anything other than qPCR. But, you would assume that after PCR you would have outcompeted all the rest.
              Thanks SeqR&D, it's a bit daunting the first time you do something like this as after all the work in preparing the sample you don't want to screw it up at the last stage. Much appreciated..

Comment

See this too, gives prety much the same result as SeqR&D:

Our high-quality, innovative RNA purification products make purifying RNA samples easier with faster, more robust, and more reliable results.

Comment

Hi all,
                  does anyone know why there is no more the tool of conversion in the Ambion site (http://www.ambion.com/techlib/append...culator.html)?
                  I need a tool for convertion ng to nM to prepare a run of sequencing of small RNA libraries.
                  can you help me?
                  thanks

Comment

depends on if it is dsDNA (660g) or ssDNA (330g), and assuming you have a volume associated with your DNA. ng/uL * (bp*mol)/660g or 330g * 1/(length of DNA in bp) * 1e^6 uL/1L. this leaves you with nM.

Comment

Promega also has a calculator:

Comment

Conversion from ng/ul to 10 nM

Hi, this link is not working! I would like to convert my sample ng/ul to 10nM , i know the base pair length. How can i calculate this? I have 12 samples to convert, is there any online calculator??

Comment

Originally posted by Kodavali View Post
                          Hi, this link is not working! I would like to convert my sample ng/ul to 10nM , i know the base pair length. How can i calculate this? I have 12 samples to convert, is there any online calculator??
                          http://www.epibio.com/techapp.asp

Josh Kinman

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses