Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does genome-wide coverage look like for good MeDIP/ChIP enrichment?

I have a MeDIP-seq experiment with inputs and enriched samples for several replicates. I'm not sure if we have good enrichment, so I want to look at the coverage genome-wide in the MeDIP-enriched samples versus the inputs. Looking at the alignments in IGV isn't helpful at the genome-wide scale, so I want to look at a histogram of the number of bases across the genome with coverage 1x, 2x, 3x, ... 100x .. etc. I got this information by using bedtools genomeCoverageBed.

I would imagine such a plot would look like this, where enriched (MeDIP) samples have many regions of the genome with zero coverage, but more reads with very high coverage.

When I actually look at this data, here's what I get (log scale on both axes):

Zooming into the first part of the graph between 1x-100x shows a very slight difference in the distribution. Most of the "lower" curves are inputs, while most of the "upper" curves are enriched samples.

My question is: I'm not sure if I have good enrichment or not - what should this look like for an experiment with good enrichment?

I would have expected a much more noticeable difference between the genome-wide coverage of MeDIP'd samples and inputs. Has anyone ever produced this kind of plot for MeDIP-seq or ChIP-seq data?

If you have aligned data, these plots can be produced easily:

Code:
    # Data prep with Bedtools
    genomeCoverageBed -ibam sample1.bam -g hg19.fa.fai | grep genome > sample1.coverage.txt
    genomeCoverageBed -ibam sample2.bam -g hg19.fa.fai | grep genome > sample2.coverage.txt
    # ...etc

# Visualization with R:
    # Read in all "*coverage.txt" files into a list
    # Collapse them into a data.frame
    bigdataframe <- do.call(rbind,  lapply(datalist, data.frame, stringsAsFactors=T))

# plot
    library(ggplot2)
    qplot(V2,V5, colour=sample)

You could try enrichmentPlot in Repitools - an example using MBDCap-seq (similar to MeDIP-seq) is in section 3 of the manual.

Comment

a good chipseq expt looks like this using your code

Comment

@mudshark - thanks very much! it looks a bit different than my own. is this public data or is this your own? what factor were you ChIP'ing?

Thanks.

Comment

its a transcription factor (unpublished).

i was thinking.. did you filter multiple hit reads? if not, these would explain the high coverages in input and MeDiP sample kind of obscuring the 'true' enrichment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses