No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replicates in RNA-Seq experiment

Dear all,

This question is somehow linked to my previous thread http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49153 . I am analyzing RNA-Seq data from three breed groups (FIN, TEX, FXT) with two diet conditions (FLU, CON). The experimental design is attached below(expdesign.png). Two additional libraries were prepared for one sample each from three groups (FIN-FLU, TEX-FLU, FXT-FLU), and one library from FXT-CON group was sequenced three times. This is further explained by the second figure, where number of reads sequenced as well as percentage of mapped reads are different in former case but almost same in later case (ReadsMapped.png). Can I treat samples for first three groups as technical replicates? Or, given the fact that both the number of reads and the amount of reads mapped are almost same, can I just choose one sample from (37C5, 37C6, 37C7) and treat all samples in former case as just biological replicates? I would be grateful to get your feedback and suggestion. I am using DESeq2 for the differential expression analysis.

Thank you.
    Keysoon
    Attached Files
    Last edited by keysoon; 01-15-2015, 06:02 AM.

The 3 FXT-CON runs from the same sample can just be merged, they're technical replicates (or just use one of them, it shouldn't make a huge difference). Exactly which 3 groups are you talking about in terms of technical replicates? If they're different groups, then they're not technical replicates by definition. They're also generally not biological replicates, since those are typically within a single group (otherwise, what exactly are you replicating?).

Comment

Thanks for your reply. 39A, 39E, 39J from FIN-FLU; 787, 4H, 4P from TEX-FLU and 7G, 7M, 4563 from FXT-FLU were prepared from one biopsy each. For example, 39A, 39E and 39J represent same biopsy but samples were prepared separately unlike 3 FXT-CON runs where single sample was sequenced three times.

Comment

If they're from the same sample, they're technical replicates, it doesn't matter if they're from different libraries or the same one.

Comment

Thank you. I was dubious because of the variation within replicates. 37C5, 37C6 and 37C7 behaved as if they are photocopies whereas other replicates looked as if they are different samples both in previous figure where I plotted total number of reads and % of reads mapped to ref. genome as well as in MDS-plot attached in this post. In the plot the replicates are 39A, 39E, 39J; 7G,7M,4563; 787,4H,4P; 37C5,37C6,37C7. I think the variation is mostly because the tissue is heterogenous.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by keysoon; 01-16-2015, 04:07 AM.

Comment

If you have variation due to sampling (e.g. heterogeneous tissue), which might be interesting to specify it as "biological replicates" (the term is very ambiguous, as the definition strongly depends on the context within which the data is analyzed) - this could help you to partition sampling vs treatment/time/whatever variable errors and study them.

Typically you would pool any data which is of purely technical nature (e.g. the same library sequenced in different lanes, two libraries made from the same RNA) as the variation (these days) is minor and not interesting to study.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses