No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAPdenovo Config file

Hi
    I'm trying to use SOAPdenovo with 14 paired end 500bp Illumina FQ files (7 files of each end). I tried to follow the example.config file on the SOAPdenovo website here

In my config file, I am specifying all my PE files as a single library since all have the same insert size. In that one library though, how do I specify my different PE files? I had specified them as (q1, q2) (q3, q4 ) and so on, but SOAPdenovo only looks at q1 and q2 files.
    Code:
    #maximal read length
    max_rd_len=70
    [LIB]
    #average insert size
    avg_ins=516
    #if sequence needs to be reversed 
    reverse_seq=0
    #in which part(s) the reads are used
    asm_flags=3
    #in which order the reads are used while scaffolding
    rank=1
    #fastq file for read 1 
    q1=s_1_1_sequence.txt.trim70.gz
    #fastq file for read 2 always follows fastq file for read 1
    q2=s_1_2_sequence.txt.trim70.gz
    ####
    #fastq file for read 1 
    q3=s_2_1_sequence.txt.trim70.gz
    q4=s_2_2_sequence.txt.trim70.gz
    ####
    #fastq file for read 1 
    q5=s_3_1_sequence.txt.trim70.gz
    q6=s_3_2_sequence.txt.trim70.gz
    In the output, SOAPdenovo is looking only at q1 and q2. Is my config file correct?

My questions are:

1) Should I specify each PE set as q1,q2 in the same library? OR
    2) Does each PE set need to be specified as a different library, each with its own q1, q2?
    3) Any other solution??

I'd appreciate your help!
    Thanks
    Flobpf

I am having the same problem

Did you find any answers to this question?

Comment

Originally posted by Malabady View Post
      Did you find any answers to this question?
      I ran it specifying (q1, q2) multiple times in the same library for each pair of FQ files. SOAPdenovo used all the files alright, but i'm not sure if thats the correct way to do it. plus, i'm not sure what all the output lines mean.

Comment

Thanks, it worked. There is a section in the manual of soapdenovo that explains each of the output files.

Comment

Thanks, it worked. There is a section in the manual of soapdenovo that explains each of the output files.
          I had hoped that there would be a summary file having different values such as N50, Assembly size, number of bases in the assembly, number of reads used in assembly, minimum contig size etc. i have used ABySS and it gives all such values.

There are several lines that are printed out while SOAPdenovo is running and I think some of those lines may be useful. however, there is no explanation in the manual about the on-screen output, just to confirm that they are indeed what I think they are.

Comment

I use the abyss stats script (fac.pl) to get the stats you mentioned from the saopdenovo assembly. This script can be used very much with any fasta file.

I don't think soapdenovo authors are supporting it the same way the abyss authors do. Abyss authors are excellent and continuously upgrading their algorithm.

Comment

I don't think soapdenovo authors are supporting it the same way the abyss authors do. Abyss authors are excellent and continuously upgrading their algorithm.
              I agree. ABySS support is terrific

Thanks for the note about the stats script. that would be useful.

Comment

Hello Everyone...!
                I am new to this software and I find it easy to manage the usage of the software. But I am finding it little tricky and difficult to find the analysis of the output files.

Its like I have to find :
                1) No. of scaffolds :
                2) No. of single contigs :
                3)Total length of Scaffolds :
                4)Total length of Contigs :
                5)Total bases in Contig + Scaffolds

Can anyone please help me with linux commands and SOAPdenovo result analysis.

Comment

Thank you for all these answers as I was about to ask these questions.
                  So,

Q1. Where to look for the output file?

There are several lines that are printed out while SOAPdenovo is running, are these output results?

I tried to see by *.contig (according to the instruction), but, output says:
                  -bash: graph_prefix.contig: command not found.

Q2. I tested a small configuration file from my SOAPdenovo directory, and it worked.
                  Now I am making more configuration files, but they are not working. I am running SOAPdenovo from my directory as before only changing with my new.cfgfile, it is not running, output is:

Compile Sep xx 2015 (the same day when I did the first one...)

Cannot open new.cfgfile. Now exit to system......

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Comment

Originally posted by mgbfx9 View Post
                    Q2. I tested a small configuration file from my SOAPdenovo directory, and it worked.
                    Now I am making more configuration files, but they are not working.
                    Cannot open new.cfgfile. Now exit to system......

What am I doing wrong?
                    It is hard to say what you are doing wrong without seeing what you are doing. That is, the output from 'ls' (to make sure the file exists), the command line you are using, etc. We can not look over your shoulder so you will have to provide screen shots and/or copy-n-paste of the exact commands you are using.

SOAPdenovo works as per the test configuration. But with your config file the program complains about the file not existing. I believe the program. So whatever is going wrong is something that is simple. You must be mis-typing something but, as I said, we can not look over your shoulder so you will need to give us more information.

Comment

Hi Westerman,

Thank you for your reply.

I can see my files are there by the command 'ls' at SOAPdenovo2-src-r240 directory. I can see ass.err, ass.log files too.

My command to run my test configuration file is:

[home/mydirrectory/ SOAPdenovo2-src-r240]$ /home/mydirectory/SOAPdenovo2-src-r240/SOAPdenovo-63mer pregraph -s myconfigurationfile.cfg -K 63 -R -o graph_prefix 1>ass.log 2>ass.err

I can view my output results by the following command:

cat ass.err

But after that, I can not run any other configuration files with any other fastq files; I changed the config file accordingly; also if I add different .fq files in the same config file which ran before (definitely I changed the config file accordingly), the program does not run. It says : Cannot open new.cfgfile. Now exit to system......

I need to run my actual file, but I am not sure how can I do that? Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Comment

Weekend got in the way of a quick response. I still think that you are probably missing something obvious. But, once again, without being able to see what you are doing it is hard to troubleshoot. For example you say "... I changed the config file accordingly ..." That is ok to do but if you messed something up how can we tell? Screen shots are useful.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses