SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-seq statistical analysis without replicate Claudia34 RNA Sequencing 13 01-16-2013 07:59 PM
statistical analysis feng Bioinformatics 2 11-23-2011 01:02 AM
DESeq-statistical analysis without replicate lynn012 RNA Sequencing 0 10-27-2011 02:47 AM
How to teach myself to perform statistical analysis? Heisman General 0 07-04-2011 04:30 PM
Statistical geneticist, human whole genome sequence analysis knome Industry Jobs! 0 05-05-2011 09:39 AM

Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
NGS_user

Default Statistical analysis

Hi folks,
I am a bit confused as to the possible statistical tools I could use in my analyses. Basically I have a number of observed genes for each gene family and a list of the number of known genes per family. the numbers of the observed are much much lower than the expected as I used universal primers and have smaller subsets of these gene families. If I do a chi square test it tells me I have significant differences. My distribution visually looks the same as the expected distribution so the of genes are similar relative to the other families, is there some statistical analysis where I can compare numbers of observed and expected with respect to other observed and expected numbers?
NGS_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
colindaven

Sounds like the Chi square test you've already done would be helpful. Check out the means, medians and distribution.

Also check the Chi square value. You might want to control for multiple testing with Bonferroni correction as you may indeed only have a tiny variation in your data which is "significant" because of many tests.
colindaven is offline   Reply With Quote