Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is excluding a whole chromosome a valid independent filter for DESeq2?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on some RNA-seq data where there is partial confounding between my main experimental factor of interest and the sex of the mice used, and I’m looking for a way to deal with the spurious DEGs that are consequently generated (in a more robust way that simply ignoring them).

Typically, in one experimental condition I have 2 samples from mice of one sex, and 1 sample of mice of the other sex, and in the control condition I have 1 sample of mice from the former sex and two for the latter.

I’m using DESeq2 to analyse this data and I have included Sex as a factor in the GLM model in order to account for it:
    Code:
    Design = ~ Sex + Condition + ...
    Even though this drastically reduces the number of sex-related genes amongst the Differentially Expressed Genes (DEGs) between Conditions (instead allowing them to be recovered if I test for Sex differential expression), I’m still getting some Condition DEGs that are located on the Y chromosome. The biologists I'm working with don't like this at all.

DESeq2 offers the possibility of “independently filtering out” genes prior to DE testing,

provided that the criterion for omission is independent of the test statistic under the null hypothesis” (DESeq2 paper)
    Under the assumption that very few Y chromosome genes should be DE between Conditions, and that the few that might be (i.e. Sex and Condition do interact) do not interest us biologically, would it be a valid independent filtering strategy to simply exclude all Y chromosome genes prior to testing? That way the Sex factor in the model would account for other sex-related DEGs on non-Y-chromosomes, and Y chromosome genes would not be tested, thus increasing power for all other genes.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance,

-- Alex

Yes you can filter out Y chromosome genes prior to running DESeq().

The null hypothesis for a gene is that there is no differential expression across the condition. So the chromosome is definitely independent of the test statistic under the null.

An example of a non-independent filter is the within-group variance. Under the null, you can see a correlation between within-group variance and the test statistic. So this is an invalid statistic for filtering.

Comment

Thank you again Michael for a quick and clear answer!

Best regards,

-- Alex

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses